Hyderabad has a long tradition in education dating back to the rule of the British in India. This was also the time when Hyderabad was under the Nizam’s rule. During the early 1930s, the Nizam established educational institutions like schools, madrasas and colleges. There was only one university during this time and the medium of instruction in all these institutions was Urdu. Today’s Hyderabad is the home of leading IT firms and other companies where students can get employment immediately after the end of education. This is the chief reason why the number of applications in Hyderabad institutes increases every year.
One of the oldest learning centers of Hyderabad is the Jamia Nizamia. This institute was established as an Islamic seminary of higher studies meant for the studies of only Sunni Muslims in Hyderabad and India. The college that was set up by the Director of Education of the Hyderabad State is functioning as an autonomous body till today.
The Osmania University, a popular higher education institute of India was also set up in the pre independence era. With the establishment of this university, came in the practice of British system of learning in India, where learning through crafts was a preferred form of study.
Hyderabad hosts a large number of prestigious schools and higher education institutes. Hyderabad institutes have been the alma mater to famous personalities from various walks of life such as former Prime Minister of India P V Narasimha Rao; cricketer V V S Laxman; journalist Haroon Siddiqui, cricketers Mohammad Azharuddin and Venkatapathy Raju.
Premier Educational Institutes of Hyderabad
If you plan to pursue education in Hyderabad, here’s a look at some institutes in the city which attract the largest number of admission forms from both national and foreign students:
University of Hyderabad
Established in the year 1974, this institute of postgraduate studies has 46 departments of study. There are ten schools in the university which have a total of 5000 students. The National Assessment & Accreditation Council (NAAC) has awarded the University of Hyderabad a grade A. The government of India also conferred the PURSE award.
Founded in the year 1918, this was the best seat of learning during the rule of the Nizam. This is the first university that was built in the princely state of Hyderabad. It is the third oldest university of southern India. This is a non profit education institute funded by autonomous government bodies like Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) and University Grants Commission (UGC).
NALSAR University of Law
Set up in the year 1998, NALSAR has emerged as one of India’s topmost undergraduate and postgraduate legal studies center. Leading media house India Today classified NALSAR as the best law college in the year 2011. It also featured on the Mint rankings list of 2010 as one of the best 15 institutes to study law.
Indian School of Business
Started in the year 1996, ISB is one of the most famous business schools of Hyderabad. It offers three types of business degrees – postgraduate program in management (MBA), fellowship program in management and executive postgraduate program in management studies (Executive MBA). In a rating brought out by the Global MBA Rankings of Financial Times in 2012, the ISB MBA program has been ranked at 20.
English and Foreign Languages University
Established in 1958 under the name of Central Institute of English and Foreign Languages (CIEFL), the EFLU is a government institute that offers degrees in a variety of foreign languages like French, Spanish, German, Italian, Japanese, Persian, Arabic and Portuguese to name a few. The institute offers BA, MA, M.Phil and Ph.D programs in languages.
Nizam’s Institute of Medical Sciences
This is an autonomous medical school of Hyderabad that enjoys recognition of the Medical Council of India and the University Grants Commission. There are a total of 27 departments in the medical college. The hospital of this medical college is equipped with post operative care and emergency departments.
National Remote Sensing Centre
This is one of the constituent parts of the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO). The Indian Space Vision program of ISRO is controlled from the Hyderabad center.
Osmania Medical College
Set up as Hyderabad Medical College in the year 1846, the Osmania Medical College is one of the oldest in the world. The college not only offers MBBS course, it has also introduced the postgraduate superspeciality course. MBBS, MD and MS are the three most famous study programs.
Gandhi Medical College
Set up in 1954, the college offers both undergraduate and postgraduate medical degrees. Every year there is an enrollment of at least 150 students in the MBBS program of the college. 37 degrees of medicine and its various branches are taught in this medical college.
Indian Institute of Technology, Hyderabad
IIT Hyderabad is one of the newest IIT campuses of India built in the academic session 2008 – 2009. This IIT was set up with financial aid from the Japan government. There are seven engineering departments in the college for students to take admission to.
Andhra Pradesh Open University
Also known as Dr B R Ambedkar Open University, this is a public correspondence learning center. It is one of the most popular distance learning institutes of India.
Atomic Minerals Directorate for Exploration and Research
This centre of geoscientific studies is the first to be established by the Department of Atomic Energy of India (DAE). A total of 17 geoscientists carry out research work here today.
Educational Statistics of Hyderabad
|Total Literacy Rate||80.96 %|
|Female Literacy Rate||78.42%|
|Male Literacy Rate||83.35%|
|No. of Kendriya Vidyalaya Schools||52|
|No. of Private Schools||40 – 50|
|No. of Universities||15|
|No. of Medical Colleges||4|
|Total No. of Literate People||2906923|
Major Universities in Hyderabad
- Osmania University
- University of Hyderabad
- Indian Institute of Technology, Hyderabad
- Indian School of Business
- NALSAR University of Law
- Birla Institute of Technology & Science, Pilani – Hyderabad campus
- Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University
- Andhra Pradesh Open University
- English and Foreign Languages University
- Maulana Azad National Urdu University
- GITAM University – Hyderabad campus
- Acharya N G Ranga Agricultural University
- Potti Sreeramulu Telugu University
- International Institute of Information Technology, Hyderabad
Top School in Hyderabad
- Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan’s Public School
- Bharat Abhydaya High School
- D A V Public School
- Delhi Public School, Hyderabad
- DRS International School
- Good Faith High School, Falaknuma
- Hyderabad Public School, Ramanthapur
- Manthan International School
- Loyola High School, Vijaya Nagar Colony, Hyderabad
- Little Flower High School
Top Colleges in Hyderabad
The top colleges in different streams are as follows:
Top Engineering Colleges
- Institute of Aeronautical Engineering
- Hyderabad Institute of Technology and Management (HITAM)
- Guru Nanak Engineering College
- Deccan College of Engineering and Technology
- Malla Reddy Engineering College
- Nizam Institute of Engineering and Technology
- Vignan Institute of Technology and Aeronautical Engineering
- Sreenidhi Institute of Science and Technology
- Mahaveer Institute of Science and Technology
- Indian Institute of Management and Commerce
Top Medical Colleges
- Gandhi Medical College
- Osmania Medical College
- Deccan College of Medical Sciences
- Bhaskar Medical College
Top MBA Colleges
- IBS, Hyderabad
- National Institute of Agricultural Extension Management
- Magnus School of Business
- Vignana Jyothi Institute of Management
- Deccan School of Management
Top Science Colleges
- Kasturba Gandhi Degree & P G College for Women, Hyderabad
- Government City College, Hyderabad
- Sarojini Naidu Vanita Mahavidyalaya, Hyderabad
- Pragati Mahavidyalaya Degree and P G College, Hyderabad
- Government Degree College for Women, Hyderabad
Top Arts Colleges
- Loyola Academy
- Nizam’s College
- University College for Women
- St Ann’s College for Women
- A V College
Top Journalism Colleges
- Bhavan’s College of communication and Management, Hyderabad
- National Institute of Agricultural Extension Management, Hyderabad
Top Law Colleges
- NALSAR University of Law
- Dr B R Ambedkar Law College
- K V Ranga Reddy Law College
- Osmania University College of Law
- Sardar Patel Law College
Top Fashion Designing Colleges
- Exterior – Interior (P) Ltd., Hyderabad
- The Raja Bahadur Venkata Rama Reddy Women’s College, Hyderabad
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Hyderabad
Top B.Ed Colleges
- Adam College of Education
- Einsten College of Education
- Global College of Education
- Gulam Ahmed College of Education
- Islamia College of Education
Top Music Colleges
- Muse Musical
- Sri Bhakta Ramdas College
- Sri Thyagaraja Government College of Music and Dance
- Symphony Academy of Music
- Amity Musical Troupe (Qader)
Latest Events in the Education Sector
Declaring primary education as compulsory in the state is one of the major developments that has led to the rise in the literacy rate of Hyderabad.
The US Education Fair held two months back by the joint efforts of the United States – India Educational Foundation and the Institute of International Education saw the participation of more than 22 universities from the US. This led to sharing of ideas, prospects of collaboration and future investments.