Requirements for International Students to Study in Bangladesh
A student who wants to pursue higher studies in Bangladesh must have passed the O-level examination or its equivalent 10+2 qualification with English as a compulsory subject at school level. A student who is not proficient with the English language must take the IELTS (International English Language Testing System) or the TOEFL (Teaching of English as a Foreign Language) tests if they choose to pursue academic programs at the graduation level.
Colleges in Bangladesh
Listed below are the best colleges in Bangladesh opted for higher studies by international students:
|Name||Type of College||Location|
|Government Mohila College||Government Owned||Bagerhat|
|Government Nazrul College||Government Owned||Gopalgonj|
|Shahid Asad Government Mohila College||Government Owned||Narsingdi|
|Bandarban Government College||Government Owned||Bandarban|
|Netrakona Government Mohila College||Government Owned||Netrokona|
|Chunarughat Sarkari College||Government Owned||Habiganj|
|Government F H College Chakhar||Government Owned||Barisal|
|Rani Bhabani Government Mohila College||Government Owned||Natore|
|Barguna Government College||Government Owned||Barguna|
|Government Jaheda Safir Mohila College||Government Owned||Jamalpur|
|Nilphamari Government Mohila College||Government Owned||Nilphamari|
|Khan Jahan Ali College||Private||Bagerhat|
|Chitalmari Mohila Mahabidyalaya||Private||Bagerhat|
|Noapara Mohila College||Private||Jessore|
|Chowgacha Mridhapara Mohila College||Private||Jessore|
|Shimulbari Bangabandhu College||Private||Nilphamari|
|Sultanpur H Bhuian School and College||Private||Noakhali|
|Masiahati Degree College||Private||Jessore|
|Khayer Suti High School and College||Private||Pabna|
|Nizamuddin Asgar Ali College||Private||Pabna|
|Dhaka Medical College||Government Medical||Dhaka|
|Chittagong Medical College||Government Medical||Chittagong|
|Shaheed Suhrawardy Medical College||Government Medical||Dhaka|
|Unani & Ayurvedic Medical College & Hospital||Government Medical||Dhaka|
|Sher – E – Bangla Medical College||Government Medical||Barisal|
|Jaladabad Rageb – Rabeya Medical College||Private Medical||Sylhet|
|Community Based Medical College||Private Medical||Mymensingh|
|Chottagram Ma – O – Shishu Hospital Medical College||Private Medical||Chittagong|
|Dhaka National Medical College||Private Medical||Dhaka|
|Tairunnessa Memorial Medical College||Private Medical||Gazipur|
Universities in Bangladesh
Bangladesh is also home to some of the best universities for pursuing post graduation studies. Some of the popular universities in the country are:
|American International University – Bangladesh||Dhaka|
|Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology||Dhaka|
|Ahsanullah University of Science and Technology||Dhaka|
|Northern University of Bangladesh||several locations across the country|
|Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University||Dhaka|
|Chittagong University of Engineering and Technology||Chittagong|
|Bangladesh University of Professionals||Mirpur|
|ASA University Bangladesh||Dhaka|
|Rajshahi University of Engineering Technology||Rajshahi|
|Jatiya Kabi Kazi Nazrul Islam University||Mymensingh|
|Hajee Mohammad Danesh Science & Technology University||Dinajpur|
|Atish Dipankar University of Science and Technology||several locations across Bangladesh|
|Patuakhali University of Science and Technology||several locations across Bangladesh|
Top Schools in Bangladesh
Bangladesh boasts of not only some of the best colleges but also some of the best schools. The best madrasas in Bangladesh are:
- Collegiate School
- Rangpur Cantonment Public School and College
- Khulna Zilla School
- Blue Bird High School
- Tamirul Millat Kamil Madrasa
- Comilla Zilla School
- Kharkhari High School
- Barisal Zilla School
- Vigarunnisa Noon School
- Cantonment Public School & College
- International Schools in Bangladesh:
- Chittagong Grammar School
- Japanese School of Dhaka
- American International School Dhaka
- Ecole Francaise Internationale
- St Francis Xavier’s Greenherald International School
- International School Dhaka
Scholarships Offered to Students in Bangladesh
Scholarships which are available to students pursuing education in Bangladesh are:
- Primary Scholarship - This scholarship is available to students of class V. The number of scholarships offered are limited and are distributed by government authorities.
- Junior Scholarship - This scholarship is available to school students of class VIII. Also distributed by the government authorities, the junior scholarship is also limited in availability.
- Special Scholarship - Public universities give scholarships to meritorious students from time to time. The ‘Kali Narayan Scholarship’ is an example of this type of scholarship.
- Board Scholarship – The students who score high and get a rank in the school secondary and higher secondary examinations are awarded the board scholarship.
- District Scholarship - Each district of Bangladesh awards yearly scholarships to the economically backward and deserving school students.
- Mayor Padak - These are scholarships offered by city corporations in the country.
- Municipality Scholarship - Different municipal corporations offer scholarships to the needy and deserving school students in that municipality.
- Agrani Bank Gold Medal - The Agrani Bank of Bangladesh offers this scholarship to deserving college and university students in the country.
- Club / Institute Scholarship - Scholarships are distributed by privately owned clubs and institutes in Bangladesh. These scholarships are awarded to poor students of schools, colleges and universities.
Documents to Obtain Students’ Visa in Bangladesh
A student from a foreign country pursuing higher education in Bangladesh must possess the following documents:
- A passport which must be valid for at least six months or more from the date of entry.
- A duly filled visa application form.
- Two passport size photographs of 3X4 cm.
- An IAP – 66 or an I – 20 form.
- Financial documents like scholarship forms and proper documents on medical fitness.
Education System in Bangladesh
The education system in Bangladesh is divided in a three tier system:
- General Education System
- Madrasa Education System
- Technical – Vocational Education System
- The three tier system is further divided into the four categories of:
- Primary Level (age 1 to 5)
- Secondary Level (age 6 to 10)
- Higher Secondary Level (age 11 to 12)
- Tertiary Level
- Fast Facts on Bangladesh Education System
- The education system of Bangladesh falls under the ministry of education of the government of Bangladesh that is headed by Nurul Islam Nahid.
- The annual budget set aside for education in Bangladesh is approximately US $ 7 million. this is almost 2.5% of the country’s GDP.
- The male – female literacy ratio in the country has been recorded at 53 : 35.
- The enrollment rate at the primary level of education is very high in Bangladesh because the government has provided for free education for all children till the age of ten. The last census report records the total number of entrees at the primary level at 16,230,000.