A recent study published online clearly indicates that there is a gap in between the required level of skill set in the expanding corporate environment and the actual supply of skilled resources. Accounting is a very sought after subject and important in the sense that it forms the very basis of cost analysis and cost reduction. Cost and management consultants play a key role in segmental profit analysis and judicious utilization of available resources.
Accounts as a subject at the intermediate level guides students aspiring to become tax consultants, finance analysts in corporate sectors and Chartered Accountants or Company Secretaries in future.
There are several branches of accounting courses: Financial Accounting; Cost Accounting; Chartered Accounting; Corporate Taxation and Accounting; Business Accounts; Management Accounting
Indian institutes offer different courses in accounts. Students from commerce background are eligible to enter graduation with Accounts Major. Top institutes and universities have certain restrictions on cut off marks. Some institutes also undergo entrance examination for final selection.
Cut off marks to attend M.Com courses is 55% and above. Though, SC/ ST candidates have relaxation in both age and aggregate.
The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) conducts Common Proficiency Test (CPT) for those who aspire to become professional Chartered Accountants. The Institute of Cost and Works Accountants of India (ICWAI) arrange CPT for future Cost Accountants.
CA CPT will be held on June 2013’.
Colleges/Institutes offer admission in accounting programs are:
- Shri Ram College of Commerce – Delhi
- Lady Shri Ram College For Women
- Delhi College of Arts and Commerce
- Goenka College of Commerce – Kolkata
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI)
- The Institute of Cost and Works Accountants of India (ICWAI) – New Delhi
- St. Xaviers’ College – Kolkata
- Loyola College – Chennai
- K. J. Somaiya College of Arts & Commerce – Mumbai
- Indian Institute of Banking and Finance – Mumbai
- Indian Institute of Management & Commerce – Hyderabad