Actuarial Science is the subject that deals with the application of mathematics and statistics in the fields of insurance and finance. It is a professional course that is gradually gaining popularity among the youth.
The study of actuarial science encompasses the study of different subjects like mathematics, statistics, economics and computer programming. Therefore a student of actuarial science has the liberty of specializing in his preferred field of study and pursuing a career in the field he is most comfortable working in.
Streams / Branches
- Financial Economics
- Computer Programming
Who can opt for this course
Successful completion of 10+2 board examination is necessary for admission to this course at the graduation level. The diploma courses require a graduation degree for admission.
Best Universities, Institutions and Colleges - Listed below are the best institutes in India where a student can opt to study graduation, diploma and post graduation courses in Actuarial Science.
- Actuarial Institute of India located in Mumbai
- Birla Institute of Management Technology located in New Delhi
- The College of Vocational Studies affiliated to the University of Delhi
- Kurukshetra University located in Kurukshetra
- University of Chennai
- University of Pune
- Institute of Certified Risk and Insurance Managers? located in Hyderabad
- Goa University located in Goa
- University of Kalyani located in West Bengal
- Academy of Insurance Management, Asia Pacific Institute of Management? located in New Delhi
- Aligarh Muslim University located in Aligarh
- University of Mumbai
- University of Delhi
- Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, Indian Institute of Technology ?located in Mumbai
Entrance Exams- The Actuarial Society of India conducts the admission test for all aspirants of Actuarial Science.
When to start the preparation- A student who wants to study Actuarial Science must have a sound knowledge and understanding of Mathematics and all its branches. A student can start preparations from the high school level. It is also during this time that a student begins preparations for the admission entrance test.
How to Prepare- Preparation for the entrance examination of Actuarial Science can be achieved through coaching centers where professionals provide learning tips. The internet and books on the subject are also helpful for students to prepare for the entrance examination conducted by the Actuarial Society of India?.
What are the Future Prospects - The career opportunities after completion of a course in Actuarial Science are many. Students can join the government and the private sector if they get a degree in Actuarial Science. A few positions that students of Actuarial Science can hold are:
- Licensed Insurance Surveyor
- Insurance Agent
- Development Officer
- Zonal Manager
Career opportunities can be found both in India and abroad.