Architecture is a field that deals with the planning, designing and the construction of buildings, monuments, towns and cities. Today, with the commercialization of art, architecture has become one of the chosen professional courses for students in and outside India.
Streams / Branches - Design, Structural Engineering, Building Science and Architectural History are a few branches of architecture that students in India specialize in.
Type of Exams for Eligibility – The All India Engineering Entrance Examination (AIEEE) and the National Aptitude Test are two entrance tests that an applicant of architecture courses has to sit fro.
Best universities, institutions and colleges - A student interested in pursuing higher studies in architecture can apply to the following colleges:
- Chandigarh College of Architecture, Chandigarh
- School of Planning and Architecture, New Delhi
- Sir J J College of Architecture, Mumbai
- T V B School of Habitat Studies, New Delhi
- Sushant School of Art & Architecture, Gurgaon
- Bengal Engineering College, Howrah
- Jadavpur University, Kolkata
- Indian Institute of Technology in Kharagpur and Roorkee
- Centre for Environmental Planning & Technology, Ahmedabad
- Rai University, Raipur
Who can opt for this course - A student who has successfully completed the 10+2 board examination with minimum 55 percent marks in the science stream.
When to start the preparation -A student will have to showcase the ability to draw and sketch to receive admission to a good architecture college. A creative mind and aestheticism are the chief qualities for an applicant to architecture courses. However, a student must start preparing for architecture entrance tests after the end of 10+2 board examinations.
How to prepare - Practice sketching and enroll in coaching centers like Resonance and Base to get course material for architecture entrance examinations.
What Are the Prospects / Future - An architect in India enjoys a lucrative career in the public as well as private sectors of the Indian economy. Some of the government organizations where an architect can get employment in India are:
- Public Works Department
- Department of Railways
- Post and Telegraph
- Urban Development Corporation
- National Institute of Urban Affairs
- Town and Country Planning Organization
- National Building Organization