A course in Audio Visual Media includes among others, film making, journalism, brand promotion, media promotion and planning, media studies and even photography. If you have a burning zeal to showcase your creative prowess along with your communication skills through a lens based media, then Audio Visual Media Course is your domain.
For pursuing an undergraduate course in Audio Visual Media studies you need to pass the Higher Secondary Examinations (10+2) in any discipline. However, for the post graduate course you need to have a graduation in either Audio Visual Media studies or other related fields of study.
By pursuing a course in Audio Visual Media studies one can gain a high degree of competency in filmmaking, screenplay writing, editing, journalism, documentary film making and many other interesting and potentially challenging fields of study. The era of globalization and consumerism is creating a huge demand for professionals in the audio visual media. Therefore, the course prepares an individual on both the theoretical and practical aspects of this field of study and enables him to make a career out of it.
In India the following seats of learning offer courses on audio visual media studies:
- DR.B.S.Ambedkar Marathwada University, Aurangabad – 431 004
- Film and Television Institute of India, Law College Road, Pune – 411 004
- Indian Institute of Mass Communication, PPB No.21, Dhenkanal – 759 001
- Indian Institute of Mass Communications, Aruna Asaf Ali Marg, JNU, New Campus, New Delhi – 110 067
- Mass Communication Research Centre, Jamia Milla Islamia, New Delhi
- MS University, Vadodara – 390 002, Gujarat
- National Institute of Design, Paldi, Ahmedabad-7
- National School of Drama, Bahawalpur House, Bhagwandas Road, New Delhi – 110 001
- Rabindra Bharati University, 6/4, Dwarakanath Tagore Lane, Calcutta – 700 077
- Rupam National Institute of Electronic Communication, Kunda, Amber, Jaipur – 303 101
- Satyajit Ray Film and Television Institute, E.M.Bye Pass Road, Calcutta – 700 094
- St.Xaviers Institute of Communication, Mumbai – 1
- Symbiosis Institute of Mass Communication (SIMC), Senapati Bapat Road, Pune – 411 004
- University of Mysore, Mysore – 570 005
- University of Rajasthan, Gandhi Nagar, Jaipur – 302 004
Scopes in India
After acquiring a degree or a diploma in audio visual media studies an individual can join the bandwagon of main stream filmmakers, documentary film makers, television film makers, screenplay writers and other creative fields of activity concerning the media. A professional in this field can also become a part of the crew of a television channel, media house, production company, advertisement agency, animation studio and learn the nuances of this industry.
Modern day India boasts of prestigious film production companies, news channels advertisement firms and animation studios. The Hindi film industry in Mumbai popularly known as Bollywood, provides plenty of job opportunities for deserving aspirants. A lot of tenacity and diligence is required to come out with flying colors in the field of audio visual media studies.
Media in the USA and other European countries are much more advanced than their Indian or Asian counterparts. Therefore, job opportunities for media personnel in these countries are always a distinct possibility. However, it is rather difficult for media personnel or a film maker or script writer to immediately make a mark since he needs to get acquainted with the culture, language and lifestyle of the people of these countries. Some of the U.K. channels like BBC and Sky TV provide ample job opportunities to Asians. Hollywood production companies like MGM, Sony Pictures and others offer trained individuals the scope of joining as a media planner, assistant director, production designer, editor and screenplay writer. Individuals having aptitude in multimedia can join companies like Toons Network and others which offer job opportunities as animators. You can also work as a freelance filmmaker, journalist, ad filmmaker, editor, or screenplay writer in some of the leading companies in the entertainment industry.