The Unani system of medicine has its origins in Greece and the word Unani is referred to a Graeco-Arabic or Unani medicine, also known as ‘Unani-tibb’. The theoretical structure of Unani medicine is based on the teachings of Hippocrates who has based his theory on the four humors namely- Blood (Dam), Phlegm (Balgham), Yellow bile (Safra) and Black bile. A number of students interested in a career in alternative medicine are opting for a Bachelor of Unani Medicine. A degree in Unani Medicine has opened up lucrative career prospects for many. This article gives an outline about the Bachelor of Unani Medicine course.
Eligibility for Bachelor of Unani Medicine Course
Candidates seeking admission to Bachelor of Unani Medicine Course are required to pass their Intermediate / Senior School Certificate Examination (C.B.S.E.) / Indian School Certificate Examination (SC) or equivalent examination.
Candidates must pass the above exams with 50% and above marks in Physics, Chemistry and Biology from the recognized school conducting regular classes (except Open School & Patrachar Vidhyalaya).
Colleges Offering Bachelor of Unani Medicine Course:
Some of the well known colleges that offer bachelor of Unani Medicine courses in India are -
- The Ayurvedic and Unani Tibbia College, New Delhi
- Government Unani Medical College Arumbakkam
- Jamia Hamdard University, New Delhi
- Ajmal Khan Tibbiya College, Aligarh
- National Institute of Unani Medicine, Bangalore
- NTR University of Health Sciences, Vijayawada
- Govt. Nizamia Tibbi College, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh
- Dr. Abdul Haq Unani Medical College & Hospital, Andhra Pradesh
- Govt. Tibbi College, Patna, Bihar
- Unani Medical College, Institute of Asian Medical Sciences, Srinagar
- Tipu Sultan Shaheed Eductional Trust Unani Medical College
- Saifia Hamidia Unani Tibbia College & Hospital, Madhya Pradesh
- The Calcutta Unani Medical College & Hospital
Unani Medicine Course Career Prospects
Those with a bachelor in Unani Medicine degree have very good career prospects in the medical field. Unani graduates can find jobs in states and central government dispensaries, Unani hospitals, health department, private nursing homes, Unani pharmacies, research centers as Unani hakims and pharmacists. One can also become a faculty at a Unani institute or practice Unani medicine as Unani physician or consultants.