“The Biotechnology Department of Allahabad’s Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology has introduced short term biotechnology to impart practical training to students and researchers and help them learn the use of latest and relevant tactics and tools.” This interesting bit of news published by a leading national daily is significant and highlights the increasing popularity of biotechnology research amongst aspiring students.
For Bachelors Degree-
Candidates must pass 10+ 2 or equivalent examination in Science stream with a subject combination of Biology, Mathematics, and Chemistry.
For Master’s Degree:
Students who hold bachelor’s degree in science subjects like Chemistry, Mathematics and Biotechnology.
For admission to undergraduate and postgraduate courses in biotechnology eligible students have to appear for entrance tests that are conducted by different institutes or universities. JNU’s Combined Biotechnology Entrance Examination(CBEE) is held every year around the month of May in order to recruit candidates to Masters of Science in Biotechnology, M. Sc in Agriculture / M.V. Science in Biotechnology and M. Tch in Biotechnology. This examination is held in more than fifty centers in different cities of India that include Kolkata, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Delhi and few more.
Other popular Biotechnology examinations are
- AIIMS Biotechnology Entrance Exam
- ICAR Entrance, New Delhi
- Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University CET (Common Entrance Test)
- Banaras Hindu University Masters of Science Biotechnology Entrance exam
- Madurai Kamaraj University Biotechnology Entrance Exam
- and few more
Top Colleges in Biotechnology:
Government universities/ colleges
- School of Life Sciences, Hyderabad University
- Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai
- Rajiv Gandhi Centre for Biotechnology Trivandrum Kerala
- University School of Biotechnology Guru Gobind Singh Indraprasta University New Delhi
- School of Biotechnology, Jawarharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
- PES Institute of Technology Bangalore
- The Amity Institute of Biotechnology Noida
- Jaypee Institute of Information Technology, Noida
- Depart.of Biotech., SRM University, Chennai
- The Oxford College of Science Bangalore
After completing biotechnology courses in India candidates can secure good job opportunities in different fields like food processing firms, drug as well pharmaceutical research centers, water management facilities and the like In foreign countries there is an increasing demand for recruiting researchers and scientists from India and its neighboring countries.