Book publishing is gradually emerging as one of the chief career choices for not only the experienced but also the youth because it helps to satisfy not only the material but also the creative interest of a person. If you want to make a career in a book publishing firm, here are certain points that you must keep in mind while pursuing this course.
Streams / Branches
- Printing Technology and Management
Who can opt for this course? - A student must have completed the 10+2 board examination successfully to pursue a course in book publishing. On the other hand, a student who has passed graduation can also pursue certificate and diploma or other short term courses in book publishing.
Best Universities, Institutions and Colleges - The leading institutes of India that impart diploma, certificate, training programs and short term courses in book publishing are:
- IGNOU (branches located all over India)
- Annamalai University
- Shankar’s Academy of Art and Book Publishing located in New Delhi
- The Institute of Book Publishing located in New Delhi
- Swayambhuvah Learning Center in New Delhi
- Engineers India Research Institute located in New Delhi
- Sadhna Academy for Media Studies located in Noida
- College of Vocational Studies under the University of Delhi
- National Book Trust in New Delhi
- Universal Law Publishing Company Pvt Ltd in New Delhi
Entrance Exams - No entrance examination is held for admission to short or long term courses in book publishing in India. The mark sheets of 10+2 board examination is necessary to pursue this career course.
When to Start the Preparation - There is no fixed time to start preparations for book publishing courses because no entrance tests are held for admission to this course of study. A student who is interested in studying book publishing, can begin preparations either at the end of school years or towards the end of graduation.
How to Prepare- An interest to read different types of books is a very important part of the preparation process for book publishing courses in India. A creative bent of mind is also necessary if a student has to make a lucrative career in book publishing.
What are the Future Prospects- A student who has completed a course in book publishing can choose between the following jobs:
- Production Analyst
- Proof Reader
- Project Assistant
- Research Editor
- Marketing Specialist
Knowledge in DTP operation and creative writing are a must if a student has to make it big in the book publishing industry.