Fishery science is an interdisciplinary subject involving oceanography, ecology, biology, economics and management combined together in an effort to manage and understand the functioning of fisheries. A vast coastline spanning over 8,000 kilometers and 10 states make India a good hub of studying fishery sciences.
The various environmental factors regarding fishing are also brought under the purview of this subject. Factors such as the availability of fishes, the impact of fishing on the ecological balance and on the environment are studied under this subject. Though posed with many challenges this is a very interesting field of work. There are several colleges and institutions in India that offer fishery science courses.
Both undergraduate as well as post-graduate courses can be pursued in Fisheries sciences. If a candidate wishes to pursue a B.S.C (Fisheries) or B.F.Sc course, he or she must have passed the 10+2 examination with Physics, Chemistry and Biology as subjects.
For pursuing the M.F.Sc course one has to have a B.S.C degree in fisheries or a B.S.C in Zoology. Admission to this course is usually done through an all-India agriculture postgraduate combined entrance test conducted by the Indian Council for Agricultural Research. Postgraduate diploma programs in inland fisheries administration and management is also offered by few institutes. Requirements for this course are a B.S.C degree in Zoology or B.F.Sc along with 2 years of experience.
A 3 year Ph.D program is also being conducted by several institutes, the minimum requirement for which is 60% marks in the master’s degree in the subject concerned.
The major institutes which offer courses on Fisheries sciences are:
- The Central Institute of Fisheries Education (CIFE), Mumbai – this is a deemed university which has several branches all over the country in cities like Kolkata, Rohtak and Kakkinada
- College of Fisheries, Panangad, Ernakulam (under Kerala Agriculture University, Vellanikara, Thrissur – 680654) M.FSc
- Department of Aquatic Biology and Fisheries, University of Kerala, Kariavattom, Thiruvananthapuram – 695581
- Cochin University of Science and Technology Kochi – 682022
- School of Applied Life Sciences, Pathanamthitta, under Mahatma Gandhi University. MSc Fishery Biology and Aquaculture
With high tech trawling and development in the preservation and marketing of sea products, fisheries science is the ‘in demand’ course. After completion of the post graduation one can find jobs in the fields of fish genetics and biotechnology. Sea food export being one of the major revenue earners for India, trained personnel from the field of fisheries science are in demand.
Scopes in India
Aquaculture technology, industries based on fishing and research works are few of many options available to a fisheries science student.
Jobs at the disposal of fishery science students are:
- Farm management
- Fisheries inspector
- Hatchery management
- Processing of stock & post harvest management.
Other than the career opportunities in fisheries listed above the western countries like U.S.A provide for certain other job opportunities as well, they are
- Marine-Fisheries Interviewer
- Environmental Project Manager
- Information Technology Specialist
- Eco-toxicologist or Aquatic Ecologist