Why do we need to study a foreign language? Learning a foreign language not only helps to enhance our knowledge but also brings us closer to people of different cultures and countries, not to mention the career options available to a student who is learned in different foreign languages. A student can pursue degree and diploma courses in languages like German, French, Arabic, Spanish, Persian, Chinese or Russian from reputed educational institutions in the country.
Streams / Branches - French, Spanish, Chinese, Mandarin, Russian, German, Persian and Arabic are the best known foreign languages taught in India.
Who can opt for this course - There is no eligibility criteria for pursuing a foreign language course in India. A school student who has successfully completed class X board examination, a college student or even a working professional can learn a foreign language at his preferred choice of time.
When to start the preparation - Since there is no fixed time to earn a degree or diploma certificate in foreign languages, there is also no fixed time to start preparations. Foreign language courses accept admissions from people of all ages and preparations start once the student is enrolled in the course of study.
Type of Exams for Eligibility - Minimum academic qualification of class X is required for application to foreign language courses in India. However a student pursuing graduation or post graduation can also opt to study foreign languages.
Best universities, institutions and colleges - Here is a list of the best institutes in India which offer degree and diploma courses in a variety of foreign languages:
- School of Languages, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
- University of Delhi, New Delhi
- Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, Jawaharlal Nehru Academy of Languages, New Delhi
- Japanese Information and Cultural Centre, New Delhi
- Ram Krishna Mission, Kolkata
- Alliance Francasie, located in 15 cities of India
- Rajasthan University, Jaipur
- Max Mueller Bhavan in Mumbai, Kolkata, New Delhi and Chennai
- Pune University, Pune
- Central Institute of English and Foreign Languages, Hyderabad
- Indo Italian Chamber of Commerce, Mumbai
- Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
How to prepare - The love for a language is the most important criteria you will need for pursuing this course. Extensive classroom programs will help you to master the language once you are part of the course.
What are the prospects / future - A degree or a diploma in foreign languages earn a student a job in several sectors of the economy of India. Foreign languages are a much sought after study course in the country today. Here are the industries where a foreign language specialist is employed:
- Public and Private companies in the post of a general translator
- Airlines in the post of air stewards or air hostesses
- Public Relations
- Hotel Industry
- Freelancing jobs can also be pursued by a person who is armed with a diploma or degree certificate in foreign languages.