The Hospital Management course deals with the study of health care provisions and responsibilities in any health centre. The Management of all the things, from proper tending of the patient, cleanliness in the organization to the requirements and management of the medical team.
The course provides detailed structural study of how a medical organization works and how the different departments carry out their operations with authorities’ aids. It covers the administrative and managerial areas, as well as leadership work.
Since the departments vary from sanitation to the administration, a student who has finished his Senior Secondary can also apply for this course, while a graduate can also, depending on the position. Both medical and non medical students can apply for this course
Many degree and diploma courses are available for Hospital Management, like :
- PG Diploma in Hospital Management,
- Fellowship in Clinical Research,
- Certificate course in Health care Quality Management,
- Diploma in Health Insurance
- Diploma in Family Medicine
The duration of the courses are different, as a Post graduation degree would be 2 year long, while a certificate course and diploma would be 1 year long.
The universities that offer these courses are:
- AIIMs College, New Delhi, for medical and non medical students both
- Armed Forces Medical College, Pune, for medical students
- Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, for medical students
- Nizam’s Institute of Medical Sciences, Hyderabad, for medical students
- FMS, Delhi University, Delhi, for medical students
- The National Institute of Health and Family Welfare, New Delhi, for medical students
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai, For non medical students
- Apollo Institute of Hospital Administration, Hyderabad, for non medical students
- IIHMR, Jaipur, for non medical students
- Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute, Chennai, for non medical students.
A candidate will have to go through written entrance examinations for the course, which will be followed by a group discussion and private interview. The other areas you need to work on are your communication skills, managerial abilities, organizational skills, team work and computer efficiency.
The future prospects of Hospital Management are huge, as it covers vast area in a medical organization. You can join as a manager, financial consultant, marketing head, accounts head, public relations, quality control , front office. There are also opportunities in private sectors like health insurance companies, rehabilitation centres, pharmaceuticals. With an M. Phil and PhD you can also go for teaching in colleges.