Few places where the students who have got a degree in library science can get employed include universities, colleges, schools, and research institutions. They can also work in R&D departments in industrial establishments, public libraries, documentation and information centers, and libraries that are managed by NGOs in the country.
Institutes offering library science courses
Given below are names of universities and colleges and the various courses offered by them. Also given are eligibility criteria for admission into different academic programs.
- University of Hyderabad offers Post Graduate Diploma in Library Automation and Networking. The university is located in Andhra Pradesh. For admission into this course, a student has to have a bachelor’s degree with 50% in aggregate.
- Diploma in Library and Information Science is offered by the followed universities -
- Nalanda Open University offers 1 year Diploma in Library and Information Science. For admission students should have passed Intermediate examination with some work experience
- Barkatullah University in Bhopal offers 1 year Diploma in Library and Information Science. Eligibility is a Higher Secondary degree.
- Kurukshetra University also offers Diploma in Library and Information Science, which is of 1 year duration. The university is located in Haryana
- Kota Open University in located in Rajasthan. Course offered is Diploma in Library and Information Science of 1 year duration.
Bachelors and Master’s degree in Library Science is offered by the following universities in India. They are -
- Kakatiya University in Warangal in Andhra Pradesh
- Indira Gandhi National Open University in New Delhi
- Madurai Kamaraj University in Haryana
- Alagappa University in Karaikudi in Tamil Nadu
- Guru Ghasidas University in Bilaspur in Madhya Pradesh
- Nalanda Open University
- Lalit Narayan Mithila University in Darbhanga Bihar