The responsibilities of a marine engineer are varied. Right from supervising that the engine of the ship functions smoothly to up gradation, repair, maintenance, and ensuring that all related machinery is working fine falls within the purview of the duties of a marine engineer. However, the spectrum of their responsibilities has widened even further these days. Also to a considerable extent the safety of the crew and sailors lies in their hands.
Marine Engineering Course Eligibility
In order to pursue a career in marine engineering at the bachelor’s level, a student is required to qualify in class XII with Mathematics, English, Physics, and Chemistry as compulsory subjects.
Students who have already qualified in B.E in Marine Engineering are eligible for enrolling for M.E in Marine Engineering. The bachelor’s degree is of 4 years duration and Master program is of 2 years duration.
In addition to the academic requirements, students should also possess sound physical health and the height of the candidate should be not less than 150 cm, chest expansion should be 5 cm, and eyesight should be 6/6.
Entrance Exams for Marine Engineering
The following admission tests are conducted for students wishing to pursue this course at the undergraduate as well as graduate level. They are mentioned below-
For Admission into B.E Marine Engineering
- Marine Engineering & Research Institute Entrance Exams
- Indian maritime University Common Entrance Test
- All India Common Entrance Test
- IIT Joint Entrance Examination
- All India Engineering Entrance Examination
- Entrance test for admission into Post Graduation course
- Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering or GATE
Marine Engineering colleges in India
The following institutes in the country offer courses in marine engineering. They are as follows-
- Marine Engineering & Research Institute Kolkata
- Marine Engineering & Research Institute Chennai
- Marine Engineering & Research Institute Mumbai
- Indian Maritime University
- Indian Institute of Technology Mumbai
- International Marine Communication Centre
- Cochin University
- Mangalore University
- Tolani Maritime Institute
Cost of the Course
The tuition fee for marine engineering ranges between 2,20,000 (Indian Maritime University) and 8,000,00 (HIMSAR or Haldia Institute of maritime Studies and Research). T.S Chanakya charges 1,00,000 annually. Institutes like IIT-M and T.S Chanakya offer relaxation of fees for ST/SC students.
Career Prospects in Marine Engineering
A marine engineer enjoys a number of facilities. They can assume responsibilities in the following areas -
- Shipping industry
- Ship manufacturing companies
- Consultancy firms
- Steel Industry
- Manufacturing sector
- Power sector
- Assistant/Main engineer
Initially the remuneration of a marine engineer is around USD$750 every month (in the role of 5th engineer). As 4th engineer, a marine engineer can earn more than USD$2500. The remuneration of the Chief engineer can be as high as USD$6500. A hike of USD$1000 is assured at every level of promotion.
|Jammu & Kashmir||Kerala||Madhya Pradesh|
|Tamil Nadu||Uttar Pradesh||West Bengal|