There is a rise in the demand for professional courses among students in India. With higher education gradually shifting base from a degree in general subjects to professional courses, marine engineering and its constituent subjects are becoming the chosen fields of study for several students after school. A professional degree will help you seek a career in the merchant navy and will also allow you to serve your motherland.
How will you Join the Merchant Navy?
To be a part of the Merchant Navy fleet in India, a student will have to undergo the study of a detailed course and then meet the eligibility standards to be part of the profession. Nautical Engineering and Marine Engineering are the two specialized courses that you can opt for while pursuing a degree in merchant navy. Here is a detailed report on the courses you will have to undertake to build a successful career in merchant navy.
To pursue a career in seafaring, this list of courses is to be studied by students in both government owned and private institutions providing training in merchant navy programs:
- 3 Years Degree Course in Nautical Science – the eligibility criteria for this course is successful completion of 10+2. or
- 4 Years degree Course in Marine Engineering – the eligibility criterion for this course is successful completion of 10+2. or
- 2 Years Diploma Course in Nautical Science and Marine Engineering. or
- 1 Year Training – eligibility criterion for this course is graduation in Mechanical Engineering.
- 3 months short course for students who want to work as Deck Cadets. The eligibility criterion for this course is successful completion of 10+2.
Asides marine engineering and nautical science, you can also choose to study short courses in rating to join the merchant navy in India. The eligibility criterion to seek admission to a rating course in any institute of India is a successful completion of the Class X board examinations. The different courses for rating in merchant navy are:
- 4 months pre-sea course on General Purpose rating
- 3 months pre-sea course on Engine rating
- 3 months pre-sea course on Deck rating
- 4 months pre-sea course on Saloon rating
Asides the above mentioned courses, an aspiring merchant navy can also study short term basic courses like the FPFF, the EFA, the PST or the PSSR to join the merchant navy as a fitter, a petty officer or a utility hand.
Institutes for Studying Merchant Navy Courses in India
There are four government owned merchant navy training institutes in India. These institutes receive both national and international students every year for courses in pre-sea and post-sea training.
- Training Ship Chanakya, Navi Mumbai This academy provides a three year degree course in merchant navy. The eligibility criteria is B.Sc, B,Tech or BE degree after completing a 10+2 level of school for students above the age of 24. You can also pursue a degree from this institute of repute after completing 10+2. In this case, age must not be above 20 years. Address – Karave, New Mumbai – 400076 Ph. No. – 022-27703876 Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Marine Engineering & Research Institute, Kolkata This institute provides a 4 years degree in marine engineering course. It is affiliated to the University of Jadavpur. Admission to the course is through qualifying marks in the joint entrance examination (JEE). Address – P-19, New Taratala Road, Kolkata – 700088 Ph. No. – 033-4014673 Email – email@example.com
- Marine Engineering & Research Institute, Mumbai Enroll in the one year postgraduate program to attend a pre-sea training program in merchant navy from this institute. The course being a postgraduate program, the minimum eligibility criterion is a degree in mechanical engineering or naval architecture from a college or university recognized by the AICTE. Address – Hay Bunder Road, Mumbai – 400033 Ph. No. – 022-3723577 Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lal Bahadur Shastri College of Advanced Maritime Studies and Research, Mumbai This college attracts the largest number of students every year because it offers a wide range of 31 types of courses as graduation and post graduation degrees. Address – Hay Bunder, near Tata Oil Mills, Cotton Green, Mumbai – 400033 Ph. No. – 022-23739784 Email – email@example.com
Asides public marine engineering colleges, there are also private institutes and training centers which provide short term and long term courses for pursuing a career in merchant navy.
Information provided on Merchant Navy Courses is updated and accurate to the best of our knowledge. However, feel free to contact us in case of any discrepancy. We welcome suggestions from your end to make our site better.