Among the plethora of cultural and linguistic studies that Indian Universities offer to teach students, the two most traditional languages are Pali and Buddhist, which traces their history back to the Sixth Century BC in India. Their studies under various courses offer not just language study but also a cultural study, its influence, ethnicity, dominance and major literature. Various courses deal with a traditional and historical study of these languages and cultures and how much have they influence the worlds of Art and Literature.
A student need to be a Graduate to opt these language courses, as they are available on the masters level for Post Graduate degrees. You can apply for the individual entrance examinations that the colleges conduct to enroll students within these courses. The colleges disclose entrance exam details on their websites.
Some of the reputed universities and colleges that offer studies on Pali language and Buddhist culture under Masters programme are:
- University of Kolkata
- University of Mumbai
- University of Madras
- University of Delhi
- University of Lucknow
- Banaras Hindu University
- Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University, Maharashtra
- University of Jayewardenepura
A student can go through the sample papers of previous years to get a proper idea of, what kind of questions are asked in the entrance examinations for these courses and you can also brush up with the history of Pali and Buddhist languages and cultures. Work on your communication skills and English, as a lot of national and international seminars and talks are conducted under such courses.
The courses offer various prospects also, both in academics level and carrier wise. You can go for M. Phil and Ph. D programmes, and enter teaching area. You can also be a researcher, or a visiting scholar. You can also work in various private and government cultural centres of these two traditions or as contributive authors or translators.
Indian Language Colleges
The following are a selected list of universities offering Indian language courses:
- University of Calcutta, Department of Languages, 87/1, College Street, Kolkata – 700073; Tel.: 033-22410071; Website: www.caluniv.ac.in/
- University of Mumbai, M.G. Road, Fort, Mumbai – 400032; Tel.: 022-22652819; Website: http://www.mu.ac.in/courses/arts.html
- Madras University, Chepauk, Chennai – 600005; Tel.: 044-25367654; Website:www.unom.ac.in/
- University of Lucknow, Lucknow – 226007, Uttar Pradesh; Website:http://www.lkouniv.ac.in/
- Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi – 221005, Uttar Pradesh; Tel.: 0542-2307140; Website: http://www.bhu.ac.in