X-ray, Angiography, Fluoroscopy, Positron Emission Tomography, CT scan, MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) and Ultrasound (sonography) are the techniques that are used in Radiography or Radiological Assistant courses.
Streams / Branches: Radiography can be subdivided into two fields:
- Therapeutic Radiography
- Diagnostic Radiography
Who can Opt for this Course: Students who are interested in pursuing a Bachelors degree course in Radiography will have to pass their 10+2 examinations (Science) with a minimum of 50% marks in Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics. Undergraduate courses are of 3 years duration whereas for certificate and diploma courses, the duration is 1 to 2 years.
Best Universities, Institutions and Colleges: Given below is a list of some of the best colleges and institutions that offer Radiography/Radiological Assistant courses:
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (A.I.I.M.S.) - New Delhi
- S.C.B. Medical College – Cuttack (Orissa)
- Dr. B.R. (Bhim Rao) Ambedkar Medical College Hospital – Bangalore (Karnataka)
- Apollo Institute of Hospital Management and Allied Sciences – Chennai (Tamil Nadu)
- King George Hospital : College of Nursing – Vishakapatnam (Andhra Pradesh)
- Jadavpur University – Kolkata (West Bengal)
- University College of Medical Sciences (University of Delhi) and G.T.B Hospital - New Delhi.
- Assam Medical College – Dibrugarh (Assam)
- Medical College and Hospital – Kolkata (West Bengal)
- Tripura Institute Of Paramedical Sciences (TIPS) – Agartala (Tripura)
- Mohan Dai Oswal Cancer Treatment and Research Foundation – Ludhiana (Punjab)
- M.K.C.G. Medical College, Berhampur (Orissa)
Entrance Examinations: There are no entrance examinations involved in this course as the applicants are chosen purely on the basis of merit.
What are the Future Prospects: Radiographers will be able to find employment in:
- Nursing Homes
- Diagnostic Centers
Radiological Assistants have to accompany the doctors and the hospital staff in the operating theater, diagnostic imaging department, and the intensive care unit. If the radiographers are employed by government hospitals, they will be able to draw a salary of INR 5000 – 8000 every month.