Spectroscopy deals with the study of dispersion of light, when it contacts any matter or object. Depending on the different densities of the matter and the wavelength of the light, different spectral formations can be observed, this whole science is studied under Spectroscopy. We observe natural phenomenons of Spectroscopy around us every day, the increasing and decreasing sunlight, the rainbow formation are some of them, how do they work what is the process, this entire physics is covered under this course. Related to radiation, quantum mechanics, photoelectric effect, atomic and molecular structure, this accurate science is also useful in astronomical science.
A student who is willing to go for a carrier and study in spectroscopy, needs to be a graduate, preferably in Physics. Then he can apply for the various entrance exams for Masters program or Diploma programme, or M Phil or doctorate, if a candidate is willing.
Some of the reputed universities and colleges in India, that offer professional studies in the area of Spectroscopy are:
- Indian Association for the cultivation of Science, Kolkata, Research
- Adikavi Nannaya University, Andhra Pradesh, Masters
- Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, Researcher
- Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, M Tech
- Kerala University, Trivandrum, Kerala. M Tech and Ph D
For clearing the entrance examination , a candidate must have elementary knowledge of physics and its tools, especially optical world. You should refer to the previous years' sample papers, to get an idea of what else is asked in entrance test. You should also brush up with research materials which are available for public reading in the libraries and on Internet, in this area, to get an idea of the study field.
The job prospects of this area are various, both in government and private area, especially those which work with light and its phenomenons, like aerospace and aeronautic laboratories, health care associations, hospitals, defense and development institutions, optic fiber sector. As the area covers atomic, electronic, molecular, physical , chemical, electromagnetic, radioactive and many other sciences, this area has huge scope. And you can also join the academic area, and work as a lecturer or researcher.
Spectroscopy Institutes in India
Spectroscopy colleges conduct research programs in this specialized field. Some of the leading institutes offering research programs in spectroscopy include:
- Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science, 2A & 2B, Raja S.C. Mullick Road, Kolkata – 700032; Website: www.iacs.res.in/intro.htmlCourse: Research in Spectroscopy
- Adikavi Nannaya University, Rajahmundry, Andhra Pradesh; Website: www.nannayauniversity.infoCourse: Master of Science
Duration: 2 years
- Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore – 560012, Tel.: 080-23600757; Website: http://www.iisc.ernet.in/index.phpCourse: Research in Spectroscopy and Optics
- Indian Institute of Technology, Hauz Khas, New Delhi – 110016; Tel.: 011-26582277; Website: http://www.iitd.ac.in/Course: M. Tech in Applied Optics
Duration: Two years