Speech Therapy is that branch of Science which deals with the study of treatment of different speech and hearing impairments. The course involves the study of all those elements that are used to produce speech and what are the problems related to them, when someone is unable to speak, or stammers or has any other problem. A detailed study of language and its components, speech and its components are taught in this area, and how each element can cause damage to the faculty.
A student who wants to do a speech therapy course needs to have done his Senior Secondary , in preferably Science stream with physics, chemistry and biology as subjects. Lot of bachelors programmes, masters programmes, and professional diplomas are available in this course. Various colleges offering these courses conduct their individual entrance examinations.
Some of the colleges and universities in India that teach students about speech impairments and provide a course in its therapy are:
- Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, B Sc
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, B Sc and M Sc
- Gujarat University, Diploma
- Ali Yavar Jung National Institute for the Hearing Handicapped, Mumbai, B Sc and M Sc
- University of Chennai, B Sc and M SC
- University of Mysore, B Sc and M Sc
- Kasturba Gandhi Medical College, Manipal, B Sc
- Sri Ram Chandra Medical Institute, Chennai, B SC
- All India Institute of Speech and Hearing, Mysore.
Various colleges and universities conduct entrance exams for their Bachelors, Masters and P h. D programmes, for which you need to apply individually. You need to be thorough with the Senior Secondary Physics, Chemistry, Biology and body anatomy. Also prepare from the previous years' sample papers.
You have multiple job prospects in this field as you can join a government health centre or start your own, speech therapy clinic. You can also work as an academician after doing a doctorate. You can work as a speech pathologist, audio pathologist, practitioner, program director, rehabilitation counselor, sign language interpreter, linguist, and language specialist also.