Careers in Animation Industry
A student who earns a diploma or a degree in animation has a wide range of career prospects to choose from. The list mentions the same:
Why to Join Animation Industry
Animation industry is slated to be worth USD$2.5 billion equivalent to rupees 11,435 crore by the year 2013. The CAGR or Compounded Annual Growth Rate by 2013 is expected to be more than 35%. As of 2009, the value of the gaming and animation industry in India was already worth USD$750 million or 3,430.5 crore rupees.
Institutes Offering Animation Courses in India
There are a number of institutes that offer diploma, certificate and short term courses in animation in India. Courses are also offered at the undergraduate as well as the post graduate level. Names of few such animation institutes are listed below.
- Frameboxx Animation and Visual Effects in Ahmedabad
- Maya Academy of Advanced Cinematics in Nagpur
- Animaster Delhi
- Vogue Institute of Fashion Technology in Bangalore
- WLC College in Chandigarh
- Picasso Animation College in Delhi
- Academy of Applied Arts in Delhi
- Magic N Colors School of Animation in Hyderabad
- Babu Banarasi Das University in Lucknow
- Megatron Animation Academy Studio Pvt. Ltd in Pune
- KAR JEN Multimedia & Animation in Hyderabad
- Maya Academy of Advanced Cinematics in Jaipur
- Image College of Arts, Animation and Technology in Chennai
- RIMS Animation Training Centre
- International Academy of Computer Graphics in Hyderabad
- Zee Institute of Creative Art in Mumbai
- WIZTOONZ Animation Academy in Bangalore
- Virtualinfocom in Jaipur
- Reliance Webel Media and Entertainment Academy in Kolkata
Types of Animation Courses
A student can enroll into any one of the following types of animation courses. They are-
2D Cel Animation- This is also referred to as traditional animation. In this several sequences are made and they are arranged in a systematic manner as per the requirement and progression of activities. These sequences are basically drawings. These drawings are scanned and painted. The final stages include incorporating audio and synchronization of the sequences.
3D Animation - With the help of software programs, this type of animation is carried out.
Most of the animation courses are based on the principles of the animation types mentioned above.
A student who has a creative bent of mind can join the animation industry. A student who has passed his class X or Class XII examination is eligible to pursue a career in this industry. As far as marks are concerned, a minimum of 45% is desirable to get into animation course in the country.
Generally, animation courses offered revolve around the following subjects. They are-
- Digital Media & Animation
- Animation Design and Art
- Entertainment Design
- Media Arts and Design
A particular animation curriculum can have several sub topics included like-
- Techniques and theories of Animation
- General Computer Animation
- Writing for a Film
- 3D Graphics Design
- 3D Animation Production
- Designing and Drawing for Animation
Few colleges also offer additional short term programs in the following. These can be opted for as stand-alone topics. They are-
- Games Designing
- Gif Editor
- Adobe Photoshop
- Interaction Designer
- Character Studio
- 3D Studio Max
- Special FX Creation
- Character Designing
Cost of Animation Courses
The expenses incurred on an animation course differ from one institute to another. Approximately, the cost is around 50,000 rupees or more. The cost of an animation program also depends on whether the student opts for a short term course, a diploma, undergraduate course or a post graduate study program.
A student can avail education loans to continue a study program. Most of the private and national banks offer student loans at affordable rates of interest.
Students after passing out from animation institutes earn handsomely in the industry. However, the remuneration package for diploma holders and graduates or post graduates in animation usually differs.
Remuneration packages depend on the type of employment. Generally speaking, an animator can earn anything between USD$44,000 and USD$60,000 in the initial years. Those who work in the animation department of the film industry earn around USD$76,000.
Areas where Animation is Needed
Given below are areas where animation techniques can be applied in the country. These areas are listed below-
- Advertising industry – print and media
- Publishing houses – printing & graphics
- Web designing
- Training institutes and studios