There are different types of consulting work that we see invading the job market these days. The most important among them are:
- Management Consulting
- Environmental Consulting
- Medical Consulting
- Political Consulting
- Information Technology Consulting
- Faculty Consulting
- Performance Consulting
- Supply Chain Consulting
- Human Resource Consulting
- Trial Consulting
- Professional Engineering Consulting
- Biotechnology Consulting
- Franchise Consulting
Why to Select this Career
Consulting is the process of imparting advice in any field of work or on a particular subject. People who are educated in a particular topic or issue may provide consulting services to another person or to a firm. However, consulting is not to be confused with the work of a customer service agent. Consulting and customer service are two completely different spheres of work. Consultants are in high demand in different sectors of the economy.
Institutes Giving Consulting Education and Training in India
With consultants becoming an important part of every sector of the Indian economy, various institutes in India have introduced a course in Consulting which prepares the students with practical knowledge in the field. The famous institutes where you can learn Consulting are:
- Institute of Consulting
- Consultants’ Training Institute
- Investment Training and Consulting Institute
- Training & Consulting Institute Inc.
- SEED Infotech – Technology Training and Consulting Services
Every application for a career in Consulting is first sent to the Association of Indian Universities (AIU) located in New Delhi for their recommendation.
Academic Eligibility for Studying Consulting
Originally, a person was hired as a consultant only after he had acquired a few years experience of work in his field of expertise. However the demand for consultants has led to the change of scenario and today certain basic educational qualifications are what it takes to become a consultant with a reputed firm. The basic academic qualifications necessary to pursue a career in consulting are:
- Integrated degree of BITS or
- A degree in MCA, BE / B.Tech, M.Sc, MBA or
- ACA / ACS
Job Responsibilities of a Consultant
Consulting is one of the fastest growing job prospects in India and abroad. A professional consultant works at the forefront of a business firm and also works in close quarters with the business or industry heads. The chief job responsibilities of a consultant are:
- Work in proximity with the clients of a firm and provide them with necessary consulting ideas.
- Have a business and innovative bent of mind so as to generate new business ideas for clients of his firm.
- Properly identify the needs and interest of a client by maintaining regular contacts with him.
- Manage every industrial project efficiently.
- Provide development solutions and ideas to his firm.
- Adopt the role of project leader.
- Maintaining relations with existing and prospective clients of the firm.
Different Positions in the Field of Consulting
When working as a consultant in an industry or firm, these are the positions which may hold in your company according to chronology of academic qualification and professional experience:
- Consulting Analyst
- Senior Consultant
- Consulting Manager
Salary Bracket of Consultants
The salaries of consultants depend largely on the firms that they work for. The more renowned a firm, the better the salary prospects of the consultant. The salary brackets of freshers in the industry are not very appealing, but the growth here is fast, with earnings also depending on individual performance.
A beginner earns anything between 20,000 to 25,000 rupees per month. With experience, the salary reaches the mark of 50,000 rupees or more per month.
A consultant also enjoys lucrative retirement benefits in the form of healthcare and life insurance after he has quit work.
Top Consulting Firms in India
It is the worldwide growth in the tech industry that has led to the demand for consultants and consulting firms in India. Here is a list of the best ten consulting firms in the country as listed from a survey conducted in the year 2010.
- ABC Consultants
- Kelly Services
- Ma foi Randstad
- TVA Allegis
- Genius Consultants Limited
- A F Ferguson & Co.
- HR – One Management Consultants (P) Ltd.
- Planman Consulting