- Name of the Institution : Faculty of Law Punjab University
- Type of Institution :Law
- Location : Chandigarh
- Ownership :Government
- Accreditation/ affiliation :Punjab University, Bar Council of India approved
- Courses Offered :L.L.B., L.L.M., Ph.D.
- Departments/ Branches :Law
- Admission Procedure :Application forms can be obtained from the university office in the month of May or June; selection procedure is based on merit and entrance test
- Campus Placements :Active placement cell
- Fee Structure : As per fixed by the university
- Syllabi/ Curriculum :Semester system
- Examinations & Results :Entrance tests are held in the Punjab University in the month of June (for L.L.B.) and July (for L.L.M. and Ph.D.; separate dates)
- Eligibility CriteriaFor L.L.B.:
Graduation in any subject with 45% in aggregate for general candidates and 40% for students belonging to ST/SC category; entrance test scores
Pass in L.L.B.; entrance test scores
At least 55% marks in final examination of L.L.M.; entrance test scores
- Established in the Year :1889
- Website : http://laws.puchd.ac.in/
- Facts & Figures :Originally, the institute was set up in Lahore in Pakistan. It is now situated in Chandigarh
- Events :
Moot court competitions, visits to courts, presentations
The Faculty of Law under the Punjab University was initially established in the year 1889 in Lahore as the University Law College. In 1948, it was shifted to Shimla and then to Chandigarh in 1959, where it is currently present and is a department in the university. The Faculty offers 3 year bachelors, 2 year masters and 3 year doctoral level degrees in Law. The academic session begins in July and students are taught through practical learning, moot court competitions and theoretical lectures. The institute has collaborations with international law associations and universities including the University of Stockholm, New York School and the European Law Student Association (ELSA). With the Stockholm University it has an exchange program as well. Along with this, the Faculty also provides placement and counseling to its students.
For admissions, students will need to sit for an entrance test that is conducted by the University of Punjab, during the months of June (for bachelors) and July (for masters and doctoral). Selected students will get the opportunity to be taught by eminent advocates and justices of India. The institute, in fact, is famous for having students who have become the Chief Justices of India, Chief Justices of High Courts, Government officers and well known names in the legal circles.