With a rich history, Government Law College remains as one of the best law schools in India today. With the addition of new courses on securities and cyber law that match the needs of the hour, this law school imparts excellent legal education in the country.
As the history goes, the Government Law School, as GLC was named then, was established in 1855 at Elphinstone institution and was affiliated to the University to Bombay. However, the law school changed its base to Elphinstone College in 1891. It acquired its present name in 1925 and received the status of a full-time law school in 1938. Gradually the then Bombay government planned to build this college campus in West of Churchgate station.
Courses at Government Law College
- You can opt for the 5 year integrated B.L.S., LL.B. program at this college. This full-time course has 10 semesters.
- The college also has a 3 year LL.B degree course, which is a full-time program with 6 semesters.
- A 2 year- L.L.M degree program can be studied for specializing in significant areas of legal education.
- A PG diploma program in Securities Law can be pursued by law students as well as non-legal professionals
- Similarly a diploma in Cyber law is also offered at GLC, Mumbai in collaboration with Asian School of Cyber Laws.
Eligibility for admission to Government Law College
- You can apply for a 5- year integrated course if you have 45% marks in the qualifying exam. There is a relaxation for students of reserved categories.
- For applying for Post Graduate Diploma Course in Securities Law, you need to have a Bachelor’s degree. You should also have knowledge of Corporate Laws.
Procedure for admission to Government Law College
- You can collect the application form for the 5 year course from the college office. Your selection will depend on the cut-off list and an interview. You also need to submit an eligibility certificate from the University of Mumbai.
- The screening for admission to PG Diploma program in Securities Law is done through group discussion and personal interview.
The Government Law College
‘A’ Road, Churchgate
Mumbai, Pin- 400 020
Tele No: 022 – 22041707