- Name of Institution Indian Association of Cultivation of Science
- Type of InstitutionScience
- Location Kolkata
- Courses Offered Doctoral courses, Post doctoral courses, Visiting scientist programs
- Eligibility Criteria Applicants must sit for an entrance test followed by an interview. Admission is obtained on merit.
- Departments / Branches Materials Science, Theoretical Physics, Physical Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Biological Chemistry, Solid State Physics, Spectroscopy, Polymer Science Unit, Energy Research Unit, Director’s Research Unit, MLS Professor’s Unit
- Establishment Date 1876
- Website www.iacs.res.in
The Indian Association of Cultivation of Science is an institute of repute in Kolkata that conducts research in all fields of basic sciences. The institute was established in the year 1876 by well known philanthropist Dr. Mahendra Lal Sircar. The founder of the institute made it mandatory for state of the art infrastructure to be introduced in the various departments of the college so that the college makes rapid and constructive improvement in research of basic sciences. The institute boasts of the teaching and research influences of eminent personalities such as Dr. C V Raman, M N Saha, K S Krishnan, N K Sethi and K Banerjee and therefore has become internationally recognizable.