IIT Kanpur is a reputed name in the list of IITs in India. This institute has a host of qualified professors in various disciplines of science. If you are willing to complete your Master’s degree in Chemistry or want to finish your Ph.D from this institute, you should be aware about the department and its functioning.
IIT Kanpur Chemistry Department
The Department of Chemistry, IIT Kanpur is a major success in the field of research and teaching. The department offers a general chemistry course for all B.Tech and 5-year integrated M.Sc. students. If you have opted for a 2 year M.Sc. programme, then the department will offer you intensive education on Organic and Physical chemistry.
Those who are trained under the integrated M.Sc. programme perform better in their professional career. The Ph.D. programme offered by the department of chemistry includes case studies and research in various sectors of Chemistry.
Faculty of IIT Kanpur Chemistry
- The well qualified faculty of the Chemistry department has led to the success in the teaching and research works conducted jointly by the students and the teachers.
- There are 9 teachers each in the organic and inorganic department, while 10 professors support the department of physical chemistry.
- These professors are highly skilled in various branches of Chemistry like, Statistical Mechanics, Organic chemistry, Transition metal Chemistry, Supramolecular chemistry, Quantum Computing and Reaction Dynamics.
- Professor V Chandrasekhar is the head of the department of Chemistry.
Chemistry lab facilities in IIT Kanpur
The Chemistry department of IIT Kanpur has excellent laboratory facilities. The following facilities are rarely found in other institutes:
- Mossbauer spectrometer
- EPR Instrument
- Analytical NMR (JEOL-60)
- High Field NMR (JEOL-400)
- UV/VIS spectrophotometer
- IR spectrophotometers (ordinary and FT)
- Electrochemical setup for cyclic voltametry
- Light scattering photometer
- CHNSO analyzer
Admission to Chemistry programmes in IIT Kanpur
If you want to opt for the 5-year Integrated M.Sc programme you have to qualify in the Joint Entrance Examination.
For specializing in Chemistry in the 2-year M.Sc. programme, you must have the B.Sc degree in the relevant disciplines.
To get admitted in the Ph.D. courses you have to crack GATE and a personal interview in your area of specialization.
To be noted
ACC fellowships (Rs.2500 per month) are granted to the M.Sc. (both integrated and two year) students studying in IIT Kanpur.
While the no of students doing their Ph.D from this institute is over 150, the students enrolled in the M.Sc programmes are around 30.
The institute organizes Alumni Lecture Series every year. In this annual event IIT Kanpur invites distinguished scientists in the field of Chemistry. They give lectures and interact with the students and the professors.