- Name of Institute : Indian Statistical Institute
- Type of Institute : Research, Teaching and Application of Statistics
- Location : Kolkata
- Courses Offered : B.Stat, B.Math, MS, M.Stat, M.Math, M.Tech, Ph.D, certificate and diploma courses
- Eligibility Criteria : An applicant of undergraduate programs must have completed 10+2 examination successfully with English and mathematics in the school level. For admission to postgraduate courses, the student must possess a bachelors degree in the respective subject applied for. For admission to Ph.D programs, a master’s degree or its equivalent is necessary.
- Establishment Date : 11674
- Website : www.isical.ac.in
The Indian Statistical Institute, a premier institute of national importance, was established by renowned scientist and statistician Professor P C Mahalanobis in the year 1931. P C Mahalanobis is widely known for his contribution to the field of anthropometric variation and for the fact that his teachings had won him the Padma Vibhushan from the government of India.
The chief aim of the Professor was to work towards a more economically developed India through the initialization of the Indian Statistical institute. In the year 1931, the ISI started its operations from one small room in the Presidency College of Kolkata; presently the institute has developed classrooms, laboratories and faculty. The parliament of India conferred the title of ‘Institute of National Importance’ on the ISI in 1959.