- Name of the InstitutionNational Institute of Oceanography
- Type of InstitutionOceanography
- LocationDona Paula, Goa
- OwnershipPart of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR)
- Courses OfferedDoctoral programs
- Departments/ Branches
- Basic research domains:
The 4 departments of Oceanography i.e. chemical, biological, physical, and geological/geophysical, archaeology, marine instrumentation
Applied research domains:
Assessment of Environmental impact, Oceanographic data collection, Prediction of Environmental Impact
- Admission Procedure
- Summer Internships: Applications for this 3-month course are invited in the months of January and February.
- Dissertation Programs: Applications are invited round the year.
- As of now, the doctoral programs are awarded only to students enrolled in the School of Oceanography. The candidates need to contact NIO scientists of the research domain they are interested in. A personal interview is conducted before admitting the students for the doctoral program. Upon admission, the research guide assigns the topic to the students following which he/she they will have to approach the Director through a formal e-mail/post and along with a recommendation from the research guide, mark sheets of previous examinations and CSIR certificate.
- Fee Structure
- Accommodation Charges ( sharing basis): INR 10 per day
Snacks and food are available at subsidized cost rates at in the canteens during working days
No fees are charged for summer internship programs or dissertation programs.
- Eligibility CriteriaCandidates who have qualified completed their post-graduation examination can apply for the doctoral program. The final selection depends on the scores obtained in the CSIR-UGC National Eligibility Test.
- Established in the Year1st January, 1966
- Facts & FiguresThe institute arranges for student’ workshops and educational tours. The institute has collaboration with national organizations like Larsen and Toubro Limited (Mumbai), Acharya Institute of Technology (Bangalore), Coir Board (Kochi), Fishery Survey of India (Mumbai) and international organizations like Atmosphere and Ocean Research Institute (Japan), National Oceanography Centre (Southampton,United Kingdom) and National University of Singapore.
Inauguration of School of Oceanography
Testing of Autonomous Vertical Profiler done successfully
World Oceans Day celebration
NIO student Dr. Rajeev Saraswat receives CSIR Scientist Award
Headquartered at Goa, National Institute of Oceanography is an integral part of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR). The institute is home to approximately 100 technical support staff and 200 scientists. It offers consultancy on numerous issues including coastal zone regulations and underwater surveys.
The institute records a total strength of 60 senior and junior research fellows. The computerized library of the institute houses over 15,000 books and 20,000 research journals.