Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics was established in the year 1950. The founder of the institute is Professor Meghnad Saha. At the time of its inception, the institute was known as Institute of Nuclear Physics. Facilities offered by the institute include transportation facility for students, medical unit, electron microscopy unit, electronic workshop facility, canteen, and auditorium.
The names of research centers of the institute are Centre for Nanoscience and Surface Physics and Centre for Applied Mathematics and Computational Science. The institute has many guest research associates as well as visiting scientists. The institute also conducts workshops and seminars for students and faculty members from time to time.
- Name of the Institution: Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics
- Type of Institution: Nuclear Research
- Location: Kolkata
- Ownership: Autonomous
- Courses offered: Ph.D, JRF (Junior Research Fellow), Post M.Sc program, Undergraduate associate ship program, summer student program
- Departments: Teaching and Training, SINP Theory Group, Nuclear Science Group, Materials Physics Group, High Energy Physics, Microelectronics Group, Condensed Matter Physics Group, Biophysical Sciences
- Website: www.saha.ac.in
- Facts: Facilities offered by Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics include well stocked library, internet access and computing facilities, accommodation for students, stipends for research fellows, travel allowances, and book grants.
- Eligibility Criteria: For admission into Ph.D a student who has passed 1 year Post M.Sc associateship or CSIR-NET or JRF with Biophysical Sciences. For admission into JRF courses, a Master’s degree in the relevant field. For admission into undergraduate courses a student who is pursuing or has qualified in B.Sc Integrated M.Sc in Biological Sciences, Chemistry, and Physics. Eligibility criteria for summer student programs, a student has to be in 1st year M.Sc or B.Tech studying with Biophysical Sciences or Physics.