- Name of InstituteSugarcane Breeding Institute
- Type of InstituteResearch- Sugarcane Breeding Research
- Courses Offered M.Sc, International training courses
- Establishment Date1912
- Eligibility Criteria To apply to the M.Sc course, a student must be armed with a graduation degree in agriculture or any paper in biology. Any graduate or higher degree holder in agriculture or biology papers can apply for the training courses.
- Website www.sugarcane.res.in
The Sugarcane Breeding Institute, formerly known as the Sugarcane Breeding Station, is a premier institute of Coimbatore which provides research ideas to grow better and healthier sugarcane crops in the agro climatic zones of India. Sugarcane is one of the most important cash crops of the country and therefore ways to produce better quality sugarcane proves beneficial not only to individual farmers but also to the Indian government and its residents.
Since its inception, the Sugarcane Breeding Institute in Coimbatore has provided research ideas which have helped in an increased production of the crop. It is important to mention here that India produces the maximum amount of sugar in the world today.