Tata Institute of Social Sciences is the first social science institute in India. Located in Deonar, Mumbai, Tata institute was founded in the year 1936, with the name of Sir Dorabji Tata Graduate School of Social Sciences. Later in 1944, the school was renamed as Tata Institute of Social Sciences. This institute was recognized as a Deemed university in 1964 by the University Grants Commission.
The vision of Tata Institute of Social Sciences is to provide quality education in higher studies. This Indian social science institution is best in providing education per excellence. There are outstanding library facilities that are highly updated. Besides, the TISS also offers computer centers and publication services in the campus. The social science institute maintains the campus full of greenery and provides an excellent aura of learning.
Different schools of TISS:
School of Education
School of Management and Labour Studies
School of Rural Development
School of Social Work
School of Health Systems Studies
School of Habitat Studies
School of Vocational Education
School of Law, Rights and Constitutional Governance
School of Media and Cultural Studies
School of Development Studies
|Name of the Institution
||Tata Institute of Social Sciences
|Type of Institution
|Location (Contact Details)
||Tata Institute of Social Sciences, P O Box – 8313, Sion – Trombay Road, Deonar, Mumbai – 400088
Ph. No. – 022-25525000
Fax No. – 022-25525050
Email – mail.google.com/a/tiss.edu
Website – www.tiss.edu
|Accreditation / Affiliation
||The institution is accredited by the -
- University Grants Commission of India (UGC)
- National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC)
||BA in -
- Social Work with a special paper in rural development
MA in -
- Development Studies
- Disaster Management
- Globalization and Labor
- Human Resources Management & Labor Relations
- Media and Cultural Studies
- Public Health
- Disability Studies and Action
- Social Work
- Women studies
Master’s in -
- Health Administration
- Hospital Administration
M.Sc in -
- Habitat Policy & Practice
Diploma in -
|Departments / Branches
- Habitat Studies
- Social Work
- Social Sciences
- Management & Labor Studies
- Rural Development
- Health Systems Studies
|Admission Procedure / Eligibility Criteria
- Admission process for BA applicants begins in the month of January. Students must download the application form from the website. BA applicants have to sit for an entrance test in the month of May every year.
- Admission forms for MA programs are available by the end of September in the institute’s website or the campus admission counters. Admission test is held in the month of December and personal interview in March. Admission is granted on the basis of performance in both.
- Admission to research programs takes place twice a year, in the months of June / July and January / February. The applicant must submit certificates of all examinations passed while submitting application forms for research programs.
- Admission process for short term courses begins in the month of June. A personal interview is held to judge the eligibility of the candidate.
- Every applicant must submit a passport size photograph, bank challan, bonafide certificate, reservation certificate if any and examination mark sheets at the time of admission
||The institute has an active placement cell. Some of the companies where students get placed in are -
- Hindustan Unilever
- Proctor & Gamble
- Hewitt Associates
- Axis Bank
- Tata Sons
- Mahindra & Mahindra
- International Market Research Bureau
- Department of Health, government of Gujarat
- Centre of Development Education
- Deutsche Bank
- Ernst & Young
- Ambuja Cement Foundation Scholarships
- Vaishno Mal Malhotra Endowment – K K Malhotra Scholarship
- Dr Jaiprakash Pandey Memorial Scholarship
- Madholal Sindhoo Scholarship
- Eravad Rustomji C. Antia and Ms. Dhunmai Rustomji Antia Scholarship
- Sir Dorabji Tata Research Scholarship
- Dr J C Marfatia Studentship
- Dr G R Banerjee Scholarship
||Fee for a master’s program in the institute is INR 42,000 for two years.
|Established in the Year
|Facts & Figures
- The institute was initially named Sir Dorabji Tata Graduate School of Social Work.
- It acquired its current name in the year 1944.
- The institute was the dream project of Dr Clifford Manshardt.
- The chief aim of the institute during the time of establishment was to promote social welfare through academics.
- The institute acquired the status of a deemed university in the year 1964.
- Training programs and field action projects are integral parts of the curriculum of TISS.
||Listed below are popular events of TISS -
- Frames of Reference