Music colleges in Delhi aim at the development of professional and personal skills of students through music. It is believed that “Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul”. Through this medium, one can connect with his or her soul and the higher spiritual being. As far as career aspects are concerned, it can open the doors of film industry, radio station, music channels, events and concerts for the ones who master this art form and practice it on regular basis.
Top 10 Music Schools in Delhi
If you want to achieve spiritual as well as professional growth through music, take a look at the top-notch music institutes of Delhi that are listed below.
- Swaranjali School of Music & Dance: Affiliated to Akhil Bharatiaya Gandharva Mahavidyalaya, Mumbai
This music and dance center endeavors to foster the growth of the classical music in India. For the East Delhi region, it is the main examination center. It offers seven years graduation course in Hindustani vocal and instrumental (Tabla, Sitar & Casio) music. Candidates who fall under 15+ age group can apply for these courses. Apart from this, foundation and senior courses in music are also available here.Contact Details:
Swaranjali School of Music & Dance
Swasthya Vihar Club,
Swasthya Vihar, opp. Preet Vihar
- Saraswati Music College: Founded in 1924, this music college is arguably the oldest and most popular school of music and arts in the city of Delhi. It gave India the talents like Padma Vibhushan Pt. Jasraj (musician), Mohammad Rafi (playback singer), Shri.O.P.Nayyar (music director) and Anamika (pop singer). Today, this center of music and dance offers training in the fields of vocal and instrumental music. In Vocal music, you can learn Hindustani Classical and light Bhajans, Ghazals and songs. In instrumental music, you can learn to play western and Indian instruments.
Western instruments include Piano, Keyboards (Synthesizer / Casio), Violin, Drums, Guitar, Saxophone, Mouth Organ and Congo. Indian instruments consist of Harmonium, Flute, Tabla, Dholak, Dhol and Sitar. Fees for Instrumental music may vary from Rs.2200 to Rs.4000 and for Vocal classical music from Rs.2000 to Rs.5000 per month. Training charges for Light music including Songs, Gazals and Bhajans can be about Rs.2000 per month.
Saraswati Music College
A-1/226, Safdarjung Enclave, New Delhi – 29
Phone: 91-11-26167911/ 91-11-26105611/ 91-11-26167922
E-mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sangeet Niketan:Set up in 1950, this institute is affiliated to Indira Kala Sangit Vishwavidyalaya, Khairagarh (Madhya Pradesh) and Central India’s Education Department, Sangeet Niketan Academy, New Delhi. It also conducts the University’s examination for diploma and degree courses in the field of Indian music. From here, you can do a variety of courses in vocal and instrumental music and the cost of fee may be somewhere about Rs 7000 or more per annum.
2666, Ballimaran, Chandni Chowk, Delhi – 110006
Phone: 91-11-22456736/ 91-11-22522818
- Gandharva Mahavidhalaya: Built in 1939, the main mission of this music college in Delhi is to preserve and boost the growth of Indian classical music and dance. It has affiliations with Akhil Bharatiya Gandharva Mahavidyalaya Mandal, Vashi, Mumbai. The institute conducts morning and afternoon sessions from 8.00 am to 1.00 pm and 3.00 pm to 8.00 pm.
Contact Details: Gandharva Mahavidhalaya 212, Deen Dayal Upadhayaya Marg, New Delhi – 110 002 Phone: 23233791/ 23238784 Fax: 23222840 E-mail: email@example.com
- Ramjas College, University of Delhi:Established in 1917, the college features for its students excellent undergraduate (B.A Hons) and postgraduate (master’s degree) courses in music. The courses are well recognized and offer an immense scope for growth.
University Enclave, Delhi-110007, India
Phone: (91 11) 27667706
Fax: (91 11) 27667447
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com
- Daulat Ram College, University of Delhi: Formed in 1960, the college offers you three year B.A. (Hons) program in Hindustani/Karnatak vocal and instrumental music. To secure admission to this course, you need to obtain at least 45% marks with music as one of the subjects at 10+2 level.
Daulat Ram College
4. Patel Marg, Maurice Nagar, Delhi-110007, India
Phone: 011 – 2766 7863
Fax: 011 – 2766 6990
- Indraprastha College For Women, University of Delhi: Introduced in 1924, the institute offers three year B.A. Music (Hons.) course in Hindustani/ Carnatic classical vocal and instrumental music. The main papers of this program are taught at the Faculty of Music, University of Delhi.
Indraprastha College For Women
31, Sham Nath Marg, Delhi-110054
Phone: (011)-23954085, 23962009
- Shriram Bharatiya Kala Kendra: Initially started as ‘Jhankar’ in 1947, this premier cultural institute offers you training in classical/ light classical vocal and instrumental (Sitar/ Tabla/Sarod) music. You can do from here 1 to 2 years music & dance appreciation course, 2 years diploma course, 2 years post-diploma course, 3 years certificate course and 1 year (onwards) professional course. The cost of fee may range from Rs 500 to Rs. 1,300 per month. Other charges are also applicable.
Shriram Bharatiya Kala Kendra
1 Copernicus Marg, New Delhi – 110 001
Phone: 23387132, 23386428 / 29
- Spin Gurus DJ & Remixing Academy: Founded in March 1999 by a young music enthusiast, this academy has evolved into the biggest DJ Training institute in India. Here, you can pick from a variety of DJ courses including Digital DJing, CD Turntable, CD DJing, Vinyl DJing, Remixing, Rapping, and Digital Music Production.
Spin Gurus DJ & Remixing Academy
A-7, Saraswati Vihar, Pitampura, New Delhi – 110034, India
Phone: + 91-11 – 27027111, 27027444
- School of Symphony: Established in 2003, this music institute in Delhi offers you a wide range of programs in Western Vocal Training, Acoustic/Electric Guitar, Music Theory, Songwriting, Bass Guitar, Drums, Piano, Trumpet, Violin, and Keyboard. You can also enroll yourself in special courses like Music Therapy, Music Production, and Sound Recording.
School of Symphony
1) 857, Pocket 3, Sector 19, Dwarka, New Delhi – 110075
Phone: +91-9891725153, 011-42770154, +91-9717535765
2) B-66, Dayanand Colony, Lajpat Nagar IV, New Delhi – 110024
Phone: +91-9711333298, +91-8800846131