Information Science is a contemporary professional course that students from any stream can pursue after school. This program can be pursued as a regular classroom program or as a distance learning course in institutes across India. Since distance education is cost effective and more flexible, most students these days opt to study bachelor of information science through distance learning. Listed below are some distance learning institutes for studying bachelor of information sciences.
Distance Learning Institutes Offering Bachelor of Information Science
|Name of the Institute||Contact Details|
|Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU)||Maidan Garhi, Delhi – 110068, IndiaPh. No. – 011-29535924
Fax No. – 011-29532312
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Website – www.ignou.ac.in
|Karnataka State Open University||Kanasagangotri, Mysore – 570006, Karnataka, IndiaPh. No. – 0821-2512471
Fax No. – 0821-2500846
Email – email@example.com
Website – www.ksoumysore.com
|Nalanda Open University||2nd / 3rd floor, Biscomaun Bhawan, Gandhi Maidan, Patna – 800001, Bihar, IndiaPh. No. – 0612-2201013
Fax No. – 0612-2201001
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Website – www.nalandaopenuniversity.com
|Sri Venkateswara University||Registrar, Sri Venkateswara University, Tirupati – 517502, Andhra Pradesh, IndiaPh. No. – 91-877-2289414
Fax No. – 91-877-2289544
Website – www.svuniversity.in
|Yashwantrao Chavan Maharashtra Open University||Dnyangangotri, near Gangotri Dam, Nasik – 422222, Maharashtra, IndiaPh. No. – 0253-2231714
Fax No. – 0253-2230470
Website – www.ycmou.digitaluniversity.ac
Eligibility Criteria and Admission Procedure for Bachelor of Information Science through Distance Learning
The eligibility criteria for pursuing bachelor of information science differ from one institute of India to another. However there are certain requirements that a candidate must fulfill for admission to this course:
- The applicant must have successfully passed graduation in any stream of study.
- Some institutes prefer graduation in a professional course, as opposed to a general subject.
- Every applicant must have scored at least 50 percent in graduation for studying bachelor of information science through distance learning.
- If you are a diploma holder, you need at least two years work experience in a state or private library to study the course.
- The applicant must submit proofs like letters of recommendation from last employer, copies of mark sheets of all examinations passed, identity proofs such as a voted id card or valid passport and passport size photographs.
- The completed and signed application form along with registration fees must be submitted at the institute admission counters within the date notified.
Duration of the Course
The duration of study stretches from 1 year to 3 years for different Indian institutes providing a bachelor of information science course via distance learning. The study is generally divided into semesters if the course stretches for more than a year. The duration of study is dependent on the course syllabus and the administration of the institute. For distance learning candidates, the period of study may extend beyond 3 years, as they sit for final examinations at their own preferred time.
After completion of the course, a student of bachelor of information science can opt to work for government owned or private libraries. Some students prefer to continue with research work in the field, finally entering academics as a professor or lecturer of library and information sciences.