Engineering is the most popular career course opted by young students today. Also known as structural engineering, civil engineering is the oldest discipline of professional engineering taught in colleges and universities. A course in civil engineering will earn you a Bachelor of Engineering or Bachelor of Science degree. If you want to pursue civil engineering through distance learning, listed below are the best institutes in India where you can enroll.
Distance Learning Institutes Offering Civil Engineering
|Name of the Institute||Contact Details|
|Sikkim Manipal University||5th Mile, Tadong, Gangtok – 737102, Sikkim, IndiaPh. No. – 080-40789100
Fax No. – 080-40789434
Email – email@example.com
Website – www.smude.edu.in
|The George Telegraph Training Institute||136 Bipin Behari Ganguly Street, Kolkata – 700012, West Bengal, IndiaPh. No. – 033-22272605
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Website – www.georgetelegraph.org
|Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU)||Maidan Garhi, New Delhi – 110068, IndiaPh. No. – 011-29535924
Fax No. – 011-29532312
Email – email@example.com
Website – www.ignou.ac.in
|J B Institute of Technology||NH 72, Village Shakerpur, Chakrata Road, Ahead of SARA Industries, Dehradun, Uttarakhand, IndiaPh. No. – 0135-2698896
Fax No. – 0135-2721660
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Website – www.jbitdoon.com
|MIT School of Distance Education||C/O UTS, ISpace, 5th floor, Bavdhan, Pune, Maharashtra, IndiaPh. No. – 020-25465882
Fax No. – 020-25454918
Email – email@example.com
Website – www.mitsde.com
- An applicant to the undergraduate civil engineering course must have passed successfully the 10+2 board examination.
- If the candidate applies to a master’s degree in civil engineering, he must have passed graduation with science or in engineering.
- All applicants must have studied science in the 10+2 level.
- The applicants must have a three – year diploma in technical education or engineering from a state recognised institute to study an undergraduate or postgraduate civil engineering course.
- Some institutes conduct group discussion and personal interview of the candidate to test basic engineering knowledge.
- All applicants must submit at the time of admission a photocopy of mark sheets of examinations passed, the completed application form and a copy of identity verification documents like valid passport or voter id card.
- Also to be submitted within a date notified by the institute are recent passport size photographs of the applicant and the registration fees.
Duration of Study
Bachelor’s in Civil Engineering is a four – year course. The master’s program is a two – year course. Distance learning students are not bound by any fixed duration of study.
A civil engineer works in the fields of:
- Management of complex design projects
- Specialized consulting services
- Analysis, design and interpretation of projects
- Planning and executing of structures
- Supervision of construction activities
- Setting of construction schedules
- Making a cost estimate of structures and projects
- Contract and architectural work
There are private and government owned organizations that employ civil engineers.