Food Nutrition is a unique field of study that has on offer a bright career and job opportunities in various sectors of the economy. The uniqueness of a study program in food nutrition is that applicants do not have to study science at the graduation level of study. They can graduate from any discipline in college. Most students today opt for pursuing distance learning certificate course in food nutrition. The flexibility of distance education allows the student to pursue another full time course or work in the food and nutrition sector to gain experience.
Distance Learning Institutes Offering Certificate Course in Food Nutrition
We list for you the top institutes in India where you can study certificate course in food nutrition through distance learning:
|Name of the Institute||Contact Details|
|Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU)||Maidan Garhi, Delhi – 110068, IndiaPh. No. – 91-11-29535924
Fax No. – 91-11-29532312
Email – email@example.com
Website – www.ignou.ac.in
|Dr B R Ambedkar Open University||Road No. 46, Jubilee Hills, Hyderabad – 5000033, Andhra Pradesh, IndiaPh. No. – 040-23680000
Fax No. – 040-23544830
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Website – www.braou.ac.in
|Maulana Azad National Urdu University||Directorate of Distance Education, Brindavan Colony, Toli Chowki, Hyderabad – 500008, Andhra Pradesh, IndiaPh. No. – 040-23006609
Fax No. – 040-23006603
Email – email@example.com
Website – www.manu.ac.in
|Nalanda Open University||Biscomaun Bhawan, 2nd / 3rd Floor, Gandhi Maidan, Patna – 800001, Bihar, IndiaPh. No. – 0612-2201013
Fax No. – 0612-2201001
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Website – www.nalandaopenuniversity.com
|Bangalore University||Jnana Bharathi, Bangalore – 560056, Karnataka, IndiaPh. No. – 080-22961006
Fax No. – 080-23219295
Email – email@example.com
Website – www.bub.ernet.in
|Karnataka State Open University (KSOU)||Manasgangotri, Mysore – 570006, Karnataka, IndiaPh. No. – 082-25008714
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Website – www.ksoumysore.com
|Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar Open University||R C Technical Compound, Opposite Gujarat High Court, Sarkhej – Gandhinagar Highway, Sola, Ahmedabad – 380060, Gujarat, IndiaPh. No. – 91-079-27663747
Fax No. – 91-079-27663750
Email – email@example.com
Website – www.baou.edu.in
|Kota Open University (Vardhaman Mahaveer Open University)||Rawat Bhatra Road, Akhelgarh, Kota – 324001, District Kota, Rajasthan, IndiaPh. No. – 91-744-421254
Fax No. – 91-744-421769
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Website – www.vmou.ac.in
Eligibility Criteria and Admission Procedure for Distance Learning Certificate Course in Food Nutrition
- The minimum academic qualification for a candidate applying to a certificate program in food nutrition through distance education is successful completion of 10+2 examination.
- The compulsory subjects at 10+2 level of schooling must be chemistry, physics, home science and biology.
- Graduates in any subject from the science stream or students who have already completed graduation in food & nutrition can also apply for study of a certificate course in food nutrition while pursuing a full time job.
- Professionals from the hotel, catering and child care industry can also opt to study certificate courses in food nutrition.
- Copies of mark sheets of all examinations passed must be submitted at the time of admission.
- The applicant must submit a filled in application form, the application fees, identity proofs and passport size photographs during the time of admission.
- Good communication skills and an interest & understanding of food items and various types of dishes are personal qualities that a student of food nutrition must possess.
Food Ntrition Distance Learning Course Duration
The period of study for a certificate course in food nutrition is minimum six months. In some institutes, the program may stretch to a duration of one year, depending on the time of examination and the curriculum followed by that particular institute. All distance learning candidates do not have to sit for the examination at the same time; individual students give the final examination as per professional and personal convenience.
The fees for a six months short term course in food nutrition may start from INR 2000. The fee structure varies from one institute to another; it is generally higher for courses that extend beyond six months.
Career Prospects in Food Nutrition Certificate Course
The scope of work in the field of food nutrition is varied. The sector has recorded commendable growth over the last decade and employment has also increased manifold. A few sectors where students of food nutrition can be employed are:
- Hospitals / Healthcare units
- Nursing Care facilities
- Recreation clubs / Health clubs
- Catering department of hotels
- Small and big restaurants & canteens
- Health department of the government
- Research laboratory of food manufacturing units
- Position of a lecturer or professor in a university or college
- Private consultancies
- Research, development and social welfare department of the government
- Position of a menu planner with catering units, restaurants and hotels
- Sometimes, food nutritionists are directly involved in the cooking of food for patients suffering special types of diseases which require special attention
- Research positions in the fields of medicine, public health and agriculture.
- Basic Electronics
- Communicative English
- Computer Applications
- Computer Fundamentals
- Computer Operation
- Computer Programing
- Computer Upgradation Maintenance
- Consumer Protection
- Digital Electronics
- Disaster Management
- Domestic Wireman
- Environmental Studies
- Fish Culture