The media industry in India has recorded much development and progress over the past few years. The number of jobs in the media is increasing by the day. Young students from over the country are taking up mass communication as a career. In order to ensure success in their professional lives, it is essential to learn the skills required to be a good journalist. The basics of the subject can now be learnt at an institute near you. A student from any stream of study can opt to pursue a degree or diploma course in journalism and mass communication.
Many students prefer to learn the subject through distance education as this will allow them to pursue a career or study another course simultaneously. Studying distance learning diploma in journalism and mass communication is especially popular with students who want to cut down on the cost involved in education; the cost of higher studies in regular classroom programs is always higher than distance learning.
Distance Learning Institutes Offering Diploma in Journalism and Mass Communication
Listed below are some institutes in India where students can pursue diploma in journalism and mass communication through distance learning.
|Name of the Institute||Contact Details|
|Amity School of Distance Learning||Amity Campus, Sector 44, Noida – 201303, Uttar Pradesh, IndiaPh. No. – 1800-11-00-00
Website – www.amity.edu
|Symbiosis Institute of Media & Communication (SIMC)||Symbiosis Knowledge Village (PG), Gram – Lavale, Taluka – Mulshi, Pune – 412115, Maharashtra, IndiaPh. No. – 91-20-39116100
Fax No. – 91-20-39116111
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Website – www.simc.edu
|Dr B R Ambedkar Open University||Road No 46, Jubilee Hills, Hyderabad – 500033, District – Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, IndiaPh. No. – 040-23680000
Fax No. – 040-23544830
Email – email@example.com
Website – www.braou.ac.in
|Sri Aurobindo Institute of Mass Communication||Sri Aurobindo Society Campus, Shaheed Jeet Singh Marg, Adhichini, New Delhi – 110017, IndiaPh. No. – 011-26561986
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Website – www.sac.ac.in
|Mudra Institute of Communications||Shela, Ahmedabad – 380058, Gujarat, IndiaPh. No. – 91-2717-308250
Fax No. – 91-2717-308349
Website – www.mica.ac.in
Eligibility Criteria and Admission Procedure for Distance Learning Diploma in Journalism and Mass Communication
- The minimum educational qualifications required for admission to this course of study is successful completion of 10+2 examination in any stream.
- If you are pursuing diploma studies at the postgraduate level, you have to successfully pass bachelor’s level three years examination in any stream.
- Admission is generally limited to the maximum number of seats available in a particular institute.
- All applicants must submit filled up application form and fees within the date notified by the institute.
- Copies of mark sheets of all examinations passed and identity proofs also have to be submitted at the time of admission.
- Institutes sometimes demand work experience certificates or letters of recommendation from working professionals.
Duration of the Course
The duration of a diploma program in journalism and mass communication extends from one year to two years at the discretion of the institute authorities and the syllabus followed. While regular classroom students have to sit for final examinations at the date notified by the institute, distance learning candidates can extend the period of study according to their preferred time.
Brief Overview of the Course
A student of diploma in journalism and mass communication has to study the following topics as part of his course program:
- Public Relations
- Corporate Communication
- Principles and Practice of Management
- Allied and Behavioral Sciences
- Press Ethics and Media Laws
- Media Writing, Editing and Reporting
- Introduction to Mass Communication
- Electronic Media
- Development Communication
- Advertising & Marketing
- Film as a Medium of Communication
- Television & Radio
The importance of the media in any country is growing by the day and with it is increasing the professional opportunities. Though the initial salary structure of professionals in the field of journalism and mass communication may not look too lucrative, good performances are praised and they lead to a higher pay package. Listed below are a few fields where a candidate can seek employment after completion of diploma in journalism and mass communication through distance studies:
- Reporting & Editing
- Marketing Communications
- Public Relations
- Film, Print & Television Media
- Feature & Leader Writer
A good personality, ability to speak in English and the local dialect, curiosity and good writing & communication abilities are very essential for the perfect job in the media industry.
- Advanced Diploma in Business Administration
- Diploma in General Electronics
- Advanced Diploma in Computer Application
- Diploma in Horticulture Nursery Mgt
- Advanced Diploma in Software Systems
- Diploma in Industrial Electronics
- Diploma in Industrial Hygiene
- Biopesticides Technology & Biofertilizer Production
- Diploma Course in Culture and Tourism
- Diploma in Industrial Safety
- Diploma in Apparel Merchanding & Marketing (AMM)
- Diploma in Applied Electronics
- Diploma in Journalism
- Diploma in Basic Web-Technology
- Diploma in Kannada
- Diploma in Chemical Process, Instrumentation and Control
- Diploma in Labour Laws
- Diploma in Communication Engineering
- Diploma in Law of Taxation
- Diploma in Communicative English
- Diploma in Library & Information Science
- Diploma in Maintenance Engineering & Management
- Diploma in Management
- Diploma in Computer Applications
- Diploma in Office Management
- Diploma in Computer Programming
- Diploma in Computer Technology
- Diploma in Computing
- Diploma in Construction Management
- Diploma in Population and Health Management
- Diploma in Creative Writing in English
- Diploma in Primary Education
- Diploma in Production Mgt.
- Diploma in School Management
- Diploma in Seed Production Technology
- Diploma in Statistics
- Diploma in Tourism & Hotel Mgt.
- Diploma in Creative Writing in Hindi
- Diploma in Early Childhood Care and Education
- Diploma in Energy Mgt. Technology
- Diploma in Fashion Design & Boutique Management
- Diploma in Financial Management
- Diploma in Dairy Management
- Diploma in Floriculture and Landscape Gardening
- Diploma in Fruit Production