Master of Philosophy or M.Phil is a postgraduate research degree awarded to students who have completed a thesis after their master’s degree. In few cases, a graduate can also earn an M.Phil degree if he / she has completed a research paper over a period of several years. M.Phil is typically a two – years study program.
With the growing popularity of distance education in India, an increasing number of students are enrolling in Master of Philosophy course through correspondence learning. Listed below are the best institutes in India for pursuing the course through distance learning.
Distance Learning Institutes Offering Master of Philosophy (M.Phil)
|Name of the Institute||Contact Details|
|Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU)||Maidan Garhi, New Delhi – 110068, India
Ph. No. – 011-29535924
Fax No. – 011-29532312
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Website – www.ignou.ac.in
|Alagappa University||Registrar, Alagappa University, Karaikudi – 630003, Tamil Nadu, India
Ph. No. – 91-4565-228080
Fax No. – 91-4565-225202
Email – email@example.com
Website – www.alagappauniversity.ac.in
|Annamalai University||Annamalai Nagar – 608002, Tamil Nadu, India
Ph. No. – 91-4144-238248
Fax No. – 91-4144-238080
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Website – www.annamalaiuniversity.ac.in
|Dr B R Ambedkar Open University||Road No. 46, Dr G Rami Reddy Marg, Jubilee Hills, Hyderabad – 500034, Andhra Pradesh, India
Ph. No. – 040-23540516
Fax No. – 040-23544830
Email – email@example.com
Website – www.braou.ac.in
|Kakatiya University||Subedari, Hanamkonda, Warangal – 506009, Warangal District, Andhra Pradesh, India
Ph. No. – 91-870-2438866
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Website – www.kakatiya.ac.in
- The minimum educational qualifications for studying M.Phil is successful completion of master’s degree from a recognized university of India.
- There are few institutes that allow graduates to study M.Phil if the student has conducted extensive research in a subject.
- In either case, the applicant must have at least 14 years of formal education.
- Students above 26 years of age cannot apply.
- The candidate must score a minimum of 55 percent marks in his master’s subject to enroll in the M.Phil program.
- 55 percent marks and thesis for a year are required from a graduate enrolling in this course.
- The applicant must be able to submit at the time of admission the completed application form and registration fees, recent passport size photographs, copies of mark sheets of school, college and university examinations passed and identity verification documents like valid passport and voter id card.
Duration of Study
Master of Philosophy is a two – years full time study program. For distance learning candidates, there is no fixed duration of study as all correspondence courses are flexible in nature.
An M.Phil degree entitles you to pursue Ph.D from the same or another university. A candidate who is pursuing M.Phil chooses academics as a career. The candidates can apply for the position of a part time or full time lecturer / professor.