Tourism is one sector of the world economy that has recorded the maximum amount of growth over the past few years. With the growth recorded in this sector, there are several institutes in India which have introduced short term and long term courses in tourism. Students who are interested in travel and hospitality and who want to be part of an international industry can enroll in distance learning certificate course in tourism studies after the end of school or after the completion of graduation.
Students in India can pursue studies in tourism through regular classroom programs or distance education. Distance learning is preferred these days because the programs are flexible and allow the candidates to pursue a full time job or another course of study.
Institutes Offering Distance Learning Certificate Course in Tourism Studies
Listed below are the institutes that offer certificate course in tourism studies through distance learning programs in India.
|Name of the Institute||Contact Details|
|Kerala Institute of Tourism & Travel Studies (KITTS)||Residency Compound, Thycaud P O, Trivandrum – 695014, Kerala, IndiaPh. No. – 91-471-2329468
Fax No. – 91-471-2323989
Email – email@example.com
Website – www.kittstour.org
|Indian Institute of Tourism & Travel Management (IITTM)||Govindpuri, Gwalior – 474011, Madhya Pradesh, IndiaPh. No. – 0751-2437300
Fax No. – 0751-2344054
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Website – www.iittm.org
|Karnataka State Open University (KSOU)||Manasgangotri, Mysore – 570006, Karnataka, IndiaPh. No. – 082-25008714
Email – email@example.com
Website – www.ksoumysore.com
|Vardhaman Mahaveer Open University||Rawat Bhatra Road, Akhelgarh, Kota – 324001, District Kota, Rajasthan, IndiaPh. No. – 91-744-421254
Fax No. – 91-744-421769
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Website – www.vmou.ac.in
|Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU)||Maidan Garhi, Delhi – 110068, IndiaPh. No. – 91-11-29535924
Fax No. – 91-11-29532312
Email – email@example.com
Website – www.ignou.ac.in
|UP Rajarshi Tandon Open University||17 Maharshi Dayanand Marg, Thornihill Road, Allahabad – 211001, Uttar Pradesh, IndiaPh. No. – 0532-2621840
Fax No. – 0532-2624368
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Website – www.uprtou.ac.in
Eligibility Criteria and Admission Procedure for Studying Certificate Course in Tourism Studies through Distance Learning
- An applicant to a certificate course of study in tourism must have passed the 10+2 examination successfully from a board of examination that is recognized by the state or central government.
- A graduate in any discipline can also enroll in distance learning certificate course in tourism studies.
- The age of the applicants must not be less than 18 years and more than 28 years at the time of admission.
- Selection of candidates to this course of study is generally done through an entrance examination held by the institute. Again, there are a few institutes that accept applications only on merit and not performance in admission tests.
- Candidates performing successfully in the entrance test may or may not have to sit for a group discussion and personal interview.
- An applicant to programs in tourism studies must have sound knowledge of general knowledge, history, tourist sites in India and over the world, geography, spoken & written English, culture and reasoning.
- Every applicant must submit at the time of admission copies of mark sheets of all examinations passed, the filled in and signed application form, identity proofs, passport size photographs and application fees
- Though not always required in the case of distance education, a candidate pursuing tourism studies must possess a valid passport as he / she may have to travel as student exchange programs or for professional ventures.
Duration of the Course
Certificate courses are short term courses which extend from six months to one year. The duration of study program varies from one institute to another. The duration largely depends on the curriculum followed in different institutes. Since distance learning candidates can sit for the final examination at flexible times, there is no fixed duration for completion of course.
The career opportunities in the tourism sector are varied and lucrative. The tourism industry is the largest growing industry in India and around the world. So employment opportunities in this industry are many. Some places where a student of tourism studies can find employment in are:
- Club resorts
- Car hire companies
- Congress centers
- Private travel market
- Business travel market
- Business and tourism administrative centers
- Event management companies