Requirements for International Students to Study in Mauritius
To pursue an undergraduate course in Mauritius, an international student has to pass O-level or an equivalent 10+2 degree with English as a compulsory language. International students also need to qualify in SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test). Students not possessing a recognized qualification in English need to qualify in TOEFL (Test of English as Foreign Language)/IELTS (International English Language Tests Systems) or such similar examinations.
Colleges in Mauritius
Some of the most popular colleges in Mauritius are:
- Sir Seewosagur Ramgoolam MedicalCollege
- The Mauritius College of the Air
- Mauras College of Dentistry
- Padmashree Dr. D.Y. Patil Medical College
- Mauritius Institute of Education
- The Mahatma Gandhi Institute
- Anna Medical College & Research Centre
- Glamis Business School
Universities in Mauritius
- University of Mauritius
- University of Technology, Mauritius
- SSR Medical College
- Courses to Study in Mauritius
The scholarships offered by the government of Mauritius are:
- Postgraduate Scholarships offered by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
- Formulaire de Candidature Communique (toward postgraduate studies)
- Communique-Scholarships from the Russian Federation
- Award of Commonwealth Scholarships in the United Kingdom
- Communique-Scholarships from Germany
- Mexico – Scholarship Program for Foreigners 2012
- Scholarships from AustriaEducational Expenses in Mauritius
Mauritius has two types of institutes- government and private. The fee for a higher education in government institutes is negligible whereas the fee of private institutes is little expensive. The living expenses vary from $300 to $1,000, depending on whether the student opts for a rented apartment or becomes a paying guest or live in a hostel. The other monthly expenses are around $400 to $700.
Students’ Visa to Pursue Education in Mauritius
A Mauritian student visa is offered on submission of the following documents:
- Application form (for Student visa)
- Passport (Valid for a minimum period of 6 months)
- Passport size photo (1)
- Letter of acceptance form from respective Mauritius Institute (for Student Visa)
- Medical Examination ReportEducation System in Mauritius
The education system in Mauritius is categorized into 4 main sectors – pre-primary, primary, secondary and tertiary. The government of Mauritius provides free education to its citizens from pre-primary to tertiary levels. The detailed of these sectors are as follows:
Pre-primary: PPUs or pre-primary units in both private and government schools are regulated by the ECCEA (Early Childhood Care and Education Authority), so that all children get equal and quality education.
Primary: It starts when a child attains 5 years of age. The primary education continues till standard VI.
Secondary: Based on the national ranking in the primary level, students are admitted to different secondary schools.
Tertiary: In this level the students are offered many fields of specialization. There are various colleges and universities offering different academic programs.