Nalanda Open University is the only State University that exclusively follows the system of distance education and is governed by the Government of Bihar. The University was founded on March 1987 under the supervision of the state government. The Open University was named after the world famous Nalanda University that was once the pride of Bihar. Presently the center of higher education is located in Biscomaun Bhawan, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 12th Floors in Patna, the capital of Bihar. The Nalanda Open University is recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC), Ministry of HRD under the Indian Government and Distance Education Council (DEC).
Aims and Objective:
- NOU aims to provide education to everyone. The education programs offered by this Open University help thousands of students who are unable to attend regular classes or somehow left formal education.
- Nalanda Open University is gaining more and more students as people across the state are inclining to distance learning education systems for further education. The flexible learning methods attract the professionals.
- NOU stands effective to increase the rate of higher education in the state of Bihar. Bringing awareness in women and children in terms of education was an important aim for the Bihar government. Nalanda Open University successfully carries that responsibility till date.
Nalanda Open University Study Centers:
Nalanda Open University has 28 Study Centers all over Bihar. They are situated in the important cities like Jamshedpur and Ranchi and also in small towns like Katihar and Bettiah, thus catering to the educational needs of every section of the society.
Some of the important Faculties of NOU are:
- School of Indian Languages & Religion
- School of Management Studies & physical Sciences
- School of Commerce & Social Sciences
- School of Health & Environmental Sciences
- School of Teachers Education
- School of Computer & Information Sciences
Courses Offered at Nalanda Open University:
NOU offers both undergraduate and post graduate courses. Some of the major programs are mentioned as follows:
- B.A. Honours in Economics
- B.A. Honours in Hindi
- B.A. Honours in History
- B.A. Honours in Political Science
- B.A. Honours in Psychology
- B.A. Honours in Sociology
- B.A. Honours in Social Work
- B.A. Honours in Geography
- B.A. Honours in Tourism
- B.A. Honours in Home Science
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Botany
- Bachelor of Science (Honours)Chemistry
- Bachelor of Science (Honours)Geography
- Bachelor of Science (Honours)Mathematics
- Bachelor of Science (Honours)Physics
- Bachelor of Science (Honours)Zoology
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) Home Science.
- Bachelor in Library & Information Science
- M.A. in Political Science
- M.A. in Psychology
- Master of Education
- Post Graduate Diploma in Journalism & Mass Communication
- Post Graduate Diploma in Marketing Management
- Post Graduate Diploma in Financial Management
- Certificate in Computing
- Certificate in Food & Nutrition
Nalanda Open University Admissions:
For acquiring a post- graduate degree and diploma, a Bachelor’s degree in the same subject is required. Whereas, for Bachelor’s degree programs, passing the intermediate will suffice. For certificate and intermediate courses, matriculate students are eligible.
Eligible candidates can apply for any course of their choice by collecting a form and information brochure from the office of the university. Photocopy of mark sheets are required for seeking admission.
Nalanda Open University
Camp. Office, 9, Adarsh Colony, Kidwaipuri, Patna – 800001, Bihar,
Total Enrollment in 2000: 641