On this page, we have tried to list all the major information on Rajiv Gandhi Centre for Biotechnology Thiruvananthapuram. We have tried our best to provide accurate and updated details about the RGCB Thiruvananthapuram. However, if you encounter any discrepancy,do write to us. We welcome any kind of feedback that would improve the quality of the site,a site that strives to provide the best information on Rajiv Gandhi Centre for Biotechnology Thiruvananthapuram.
Rajeev Gandhi Centre for Biotechnology Thiruvananthapuram, is the only institute of its kind in India which is completely dedicated to the cause of development of Biotechnology. On November 18th, 1995, the foundation stone for the institute was laid by the then prime minister, P.V Narsimha Rao. On 18th November 2002, a new laboratory complex of RGCB was inaugurated by Dr. A.P.J Abdul Kalam, President of India. Translational research is the focal point of the researches conducted in RGCB. Researches are conducted in the RGCB with the motive of bringing better health facilities to mankind. It also aims at improving the production of medicinal plants and spices. RGCB has specialized departments working on medicinal biotechnology and genetic engineering of plants. RGCB also has regional center for genetic finger printing and DNA analysis, which helps in forensic investigations.
Departments of RGCB
- Molecular Reproduction
- Molecular Medicine and Cancer Biology
- Molecular Microbiology
- Medical Demography
- Plant Molecular Biology
Academic Programs of Rajiv Gandhi Center for Biotechnology
Rajiv Gandhi Center for Biotechnology provides the facility of Doctoral and post doctoral researches. It also provides the facilities of summer time researches to Post Graduate degree holders. The details of those programs are given below:
- PhD – training is provided to candidates in the field of biotechnology. Candidates applying for a PhD degree should either have life science as their subject or be a student of any interdisciplinary subject which stresses on biotechnology. Candidates with a first class in their post graduation, who have qualified the Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) examination conducted by UGC/CSIR, ICMR and DBT are short listed and called for a personal interview.
- Post Doctoral – Post doctoral courses are offered at RGCB on subjects like cell division, cell death, cell communication and fusion, cell signaling, host-pathogen interactions, transgenics, drug discovery, and other such related areas. Candidates with a PhD degree in the related field can apply . Selection is made as and when any vacancy is available.
- Summer/ Short Term Training: trainings are imparted to students from various academic backgrounds on a short term basis. Students with the degree of M.Sc, B.Tech, M.Phil and M.Tech are allowed to carry on dissertation and project work on topics related to biotechnology.
Facilities at RGCB
The Rajiv Gandhi Center for Biotechnology has the following facilities to support the ongoing researches in the field of Biotechnology.
- Instrumentation Engineering
- Animal House
- Green House and Transgenics
- Tissue Culture.
Rajiv Gandhi Centre for Biotechnology
Thycaud PO, Poojappura
Thiruvananthapuram – 695 014
Kerala, India Phone : +91- 471-2341716 | 2347975 | 2348104 | 2348753 | 2345899Fax : + 91- 471-348096
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org |email@example.com