Sikkim, located in the lap of mountains, is one of the most beautiful states of India and is hence one of the best places to visit for a tourist. However, over the last couple of years, it is not only the tourism industry, but also the education sector of Sikkim that is making headlines. The rate of literacy in the state has seen a phenomenal rise from only 68.81% according to the 2001 census reports to more than 82% as recorded in the 2011 census counting. This is indeed a commendable rate achieved by a state that also boasts of a low rate of population. With more than 1500 government schools, 471 private schools and 12 colleges that impart good professional education, is a viable option for residents and non residents.
Education System in Sikkim
As is the rule in most other Indian states, the education system in Sikkim is also divided into different tiers of:
- Primary School
- Secondary School
- Pre University / College
- Diploma / Degree / Certificate Professional Courses
- The medium of instruction in the schools and colleges of Sikkim is English, though Nepali and Tibetan are also spoken among the locals.
Primary and Secondary Education in Sikkim
- Sikkim schools start their admission procedures for children who have attained the age of five. A student progresses from primary to secondary school and has to complete twelve years of schooling before attending college. Two board examinations are held in Sikkim; one at the end of class X and the other at the end of class XII. There are 1545 public schools and 471 private schools in Sikkim. The central and state government authorities have also introduced the ‘Sarva Siksha Abhiyan’ to encourage the education of every child in Sikkim, especially the children living in the interiors of the Himalaya mountains. Every school in Sikkim is either affiliated to the ICSE or the CBSE board.
|Name of School||Location||Affiliation|
|Tashi Namgyal Academy||Gangtok||ICSE|
|Namchi Public School||Namchi||ICSE|
|Kendriya Vidyalaya School||Gangtok||CBSE|
|St. Xavier’s School||Pakyong||ICSE|
Graduation and Post Graduation Studies in Sikkim
- The demand for education has gone up in Sikkim over the last couple of years. This has compelled the government to introduce several centers for higher studies. Colleges and universities in Sikkim are equipped with modern facilities and teachers in these institutions are also well informed. Some of the prominent colleges and universities of Sikkim are:
Sikkim Government College
- Located in Gangtok Courses Offered – Bachelors degree in English, Nepali, Education, Geography, Political Science, Economics and Sociology
Loyola College of Education
- Located in Namchi Courses Offered – Asides degree courses in Humanities and Science, the college is known for its B.Ed. course.
Damber Singh Degree College
- Located in Tadong Courses Offered – Pass Courses in Sociology, Political Science, English and Education
Pakim Paletine College
- Located in Pakyong Courses Offered – Bachelor and Pass Course Degrees in Humanities, Commerce and Science
- Located in Rhenock Courses Offered – Bachelor Degree courses in Humanities
- All the above mentioned colleges in Sikkim are affiliated to the University of North Bengal.
Professional Study Opportunities in Sikkim
- Sikkim is better known for its professional study courses than for its general study courses. There are a number of colleges in Sikkim which offer world class professional degrees, thus giving students practical knowledge and preparing the students to take on the job market in India and abroad. These professional courses also attract a number of foreign students and non residents of Sikkim.
- The Sikkim Manipal University has become one of the most popular study centers for professional courses in India.
|Type of Colleges||Name of College||Degree|
|Engineering||Sikkim Manipal Institute of Technology, Industrial Technical Institute||BE / B.Tech, M.Tech, MCA|
|Law||Sikkim Government Law College, Veena Memorial Law College||LLB|
|Medical||Sikkim Manipal Institute of Medical Sciences,||MBBS|
|Hotel Management||Institute of Hotel Management, Institute of Hotel Management, Catering Technology and Applied Nutrition||B.Sc, Diploma|
|Management||Sikkim Manipal Institute of Technology||MBA|
Education for Non Residents in Sikkim
- Sikkim is a favorite place of study for all students who want to pursue a degree in professional courses. The Sikkim Manipal Institute of Technology is one of the best places to earn a professional degree. There is a placement cell in the institute which offers the students lucrative jobs in India and abroad after the completion of study. This is the reason why more and more non residents are flocking to Sikkim for higher studies.
- A non resident can seek admission to the professional colleges of Sikkim either on the basis of marks secured in a common entrance test or based on the marks secured in the school board examinations.
Hostels in Sikkim Educational Institutes
- Since a large number of non residents and students from other countries visit Sikkim every year to pursue higher studies, the institutes in Sikkim are equipped with state of the art hostels for outside students’ accommodation. The hostels here serve food and sometimes have facilities like a library or even a laboratory.
- Often located in the interiors of the state, the government and the college authorities make special arrangements for the security of boarders. The hostels demand proper identification proofs from students. They charge annual fees in the range of 5000 – 10000 rupees.